Light-O-Rama Forums

Where do you get the music for LOR sequence

Guest guest

I tried to copy CD's to my hard drive that did not work, wrong format. I am not using a Mp3. Planning on running the music from the computer. I am in need of some help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

robogeek wrote:

Hey Dan and Don...

Just curious, What are the specific advantages to the WAV format over MP3?

Robogeek

Personally, I've had no troubles with MP3 files. However, some people experince a 'drift' with the MP3 format due to it's being ripped with a variable bit rate. The non-technical version explination is that the marks in the file LOR uses drift from to time. A Constant Bit Rate MP3 (CBR) or a .WAV file does not have this problem.

Don wrote:

robogeek wrote:
Hey Dan and Don...

Robogeek

Personally, I've had no troubles with MP3 files. However, some people experince a 'drift' with the MP3 format due to it's being ripped with a variable bit rate. The non-technical version explination is that the marks in the file LOR uses drift from to time. A Constant Bit Rate MP3 (CBR) or a .WAV file does not have this problem.

I have also not had a problem with MP3 files but I can tell you that a number of people do have a problem.... Regardless of how the MP3 file is encoded, LOR will stay in sync when you play the song from the beginning... The problem comes when you use the "play current page" or "play selection" options. In this case, LOR tells Windows Media Player (WMP) to "skip" into the song. When WMP skips into MP3 files, it "guesses" where that point is in the file. With some MP3 encodings the WMP is incorrect.

I use Audacity to re-encode all of my MP3 files and have no issue with them as far as sync. WAV files are completely predictable when it comes to finding a spot in the song so there is never an issue.

LightORama wrote:

I use Audacity to re-encode all of my MP3 files and have no issue with them as far as sync.

This will also fix MP3 files currently experiencing the "drift." I had this problem with some of my MP3s. All I did was open each file in audacity and exported a new MP3 for each one. It works great!

Thank you! I will try .wav and see how that works. You got to keep it simple for me. I thank everyone that posted. I got a feeling this will not be the last ??? I have. I look forward to seeing all of your houses posted this year.

The wav works great, Thanks again

LightORama wrote:

Don wrote:
robogeek wrote:
Hey Dan and Don...

Robogeek

I have also not had a problem with MP3 files but I can tell you that a number of people do have a problem.... Regardless of how the MP3 file is encoded, LOR will stay in sync when you play the song from the beginning... The problem comes when you use the "play current page" or "play selection" options. In this case, LOR tells Windows Media Player (WMP) to "skip" into the song. When WMP skips into MP3 files, it "guesses" where that point is in the file. With some MP3 encodings the WMP is incorrect.

I use Audacity to re-encode all of my MP3 files and have no issue with them as far as sync. WAV files are completely predictable when it comes to finding a spot in the song so there is never an issue.

A really good way to lighten the load for the computer (for people with slower computers or subject to heat or excessive DMA use issues) is burn all your MP3s for your show to a CDR, then play your songs from the CDR. Playing directly from CD is just a pass thru for sound. Your CPU uses no efforts to play your sound, while it will with WAV files and other WMP using programs like Dasher and Animation Director keep perfect timing with CD audio... I am sure there will be no issues with LOR either.

Joseph Ayo wrote:

A really good way to lighten the load for the computer (for people with slower computers or subject to heat or excessive DMA use issues) is burn all your MP3s for your show to a CDR, then play your songs from the CDR. Playing directly from CD is just a pass thru for sound. Your CPU uses no efforts to play your sound, while it will with WAV files and other WMP using programs like Dasher and Animation Director keep perfect timing with CD audio... I am sure there will be no issues with LOR either.