Light-O-Rama Forums

Export / Import Template w/ Tracks

zman

I think I know the answer to this, but want to validate it before I head off and spend the time to set it up.

Every year I add channels. This year year is no exception, and due to the new additions, I am contemplating really taking on Tracks. I understand Tracks, that is not my issue. I am hazy on the export/import. To date I have only had 1 track in each of my sequences since (thankfully) LOR added the new timing overlays, (Yea!)

My question is this.

My methodology for updating my template each year is to pick a sequence, modify it as needed, then dump that out as my new template.

I then, I open EVERY sequence, side by the side to the modified sequence, and add the blank channels where needed. Once I verify that all the blanks are in place, I then apply the template.

This year, in addition to adding the new channels, I want to create a Red, Green, Blue and White track. Adding into each track the color of the pertinent display item. I now have a lot of items that are 4 colors. Mega, arches, window wraps, trees, floods etc... so it becomes easier to see and work with items per color.

When I dump the 2010 Template w/ the tracks, the modifications to Track 1 will update as it always has done. I trust that the tracks will get ADDED to the sequence as I defined them in the original sequenc. The Tracks will have all the new channels that are reflected in Track 1 and organized as R-G-B-W.

So I am thinking, that given the above, ALL should import fine with no issues. I am looking for a sanity check, because it will be several hours to create the 4 added tracks, I just want to make sure it is a good investment in time. Why so long, well we are pushing over 500 channels of LOR, not including my DMX universe.

Thanks.

Mark, my lcc file has 3 tracks, which I import into all new/existing sequences without an issue. Everything imports exactly as in the template lcc.

Like you I make sure to have the correct number of channels in my main track before I import, as I use a fair amount of dummy channels for things like beat, melody A, melody B, rhythm A, rhythm B, etc scattered through the sequence.

I don't use the tracks much anymore, as I switch timings instead, but they are there for when I need them.

Greg

I'm with Gregg...

I have 8 tracks, and was doing this last night...importing my new 8 Track/518 Channels into last years sequences to update/redo them.

Had no issues...

But it DOES overwrite your old Track/Channel setup..it does NOT add to the old one.

jimswinder wrote:

I'm with Gregg...

I have 8 tracks, and was doing this last night...importing my new 8 Track/518 Channels into last years sequences to update/redo them.

Had no issues...

But it DOES overwrite your old Track/Channel setup..it does NOT add to the old one.
Thanks guys! I am still weighing my options, I am WAY behind on sequencing needless to say if I am still talking about template updates. :shock:

Jim that last part I guess goes without saying. That is basically all the import function does is overwrite. So next year in 2011, if I decide to do Tracks this year, my update gets a bit more delicate and complicated.