Light-O-Rama Forums

Which software is best for extracting a song off a DVD for a sequence?

Guest guest

Dang,

I was hoping to avoid buying it from the iTunes store, but that's a headache too, because iPOD's proprietary AAC formatted songs have to be converted to a standard audio file format before it can be read into Lightorama's sequencer.

You do this by burning the song from within iTunes to a CDR to mimic a real life factory issued musical CD. Now it ha sbeen converted to a standard audio format that you can use.

Then the song is ripped from the CDR using Musicmatch 10 to get this now- standardized audio file off the CDR and onto your computer outside the iTunes proprietary environment, then you can save it to MP3 format, and read it into the Lightorama Musical Sequence Editor.

There is a program called QTFairUse that will decrypt a AAC file from iTunes (including the latest 7.0 version) so you can convert it to WAV and work with it in LOR.

You can download it from

http://hymn-project.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1553

After you Decrypt the file, you can use Winamp to Convert it to Wav using the built in WAV output plugin.

jeffostroff wrote:

Dang,

I was hoping to avoid buying it from the iTunes store, but that's a headache too, because iPOD's proprietary AAC formatted songs have to be converted to a standard audio file format before it can be read into Lightorama's sequencer.

You do this by burning the song from within iTunes to a CDR to mimic a real life factory issued musical CD. Now it ha sbeen converted to a standard audio format that you can use.

Then the song is ripped from the CDR using Musicmatch 10 to get this now- standardized audio file off the CDR and onto your computer outside the iTunes proprietary environment, then you can save it to MP3 format, and read it into the Lightorama Musical Sequence Editor.

Buy it from Walmart.com those MP3's will require Windows Media Player 10 but the licensed MP3's play perfectly with LOR/AL.

I've done this on numerous occasions (cassette tapes, movie trailers on another PC, etc...) As long as the player has good sound and a headphone/audio out jack you are in business. Any obvious static can be reduced with options on Audacity or other programs. My experience has been great.

And the price is right...

rns

What I've been able to do with DVD's is to create an image of the disk on my hard drive and open the Audio TS folder and extract the audio using Audacity.

But, as far as ripping from MP4's are concerned. I find it much easier to have iTunes burn a disk for me, then I rip it with Windows Media Player back to my hard drive as an MP3.

Then I use Audacity to convert it to .wav. But, that's my own opinion... :)