Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequnce Editor does not seem to be Pasting by Cell

jimswinder

I have my "Set Paste Mode" set to "Paste By Cell", but it is pasting beyond the cell? It is not pasting by "time", because I switched the "Set Paste Mode" to "paste by Time" and it was a LOT smaller than what I see now (Picture attached).

Anyone else seeing this?

I am sure it is operator error...but don't know what I am doing wrong...it was working fine earlier this evening.

Attached files 215341=11978-Paste by cell.jpg

George Simmons wrote:

I'd check your source cell(s) - the one(s) you copied for pasting originally.

That was my thoughts, but shouldn't the "paste by cell" feature do just that no matter what the length (time) of what was copied?

George Simmons wrote:

I'd check your source cell(s) - the one(s) you copied for pasting originally.

What am I checking for? I thought, and it has worked this way in the past, if the source cell was only .5 seconds and the cell I was pasting to was 1 second, it would still fill the whole cell...and visa versa...if the source cell was LONGER then the cell I was pasting to , it would STILL just fill the cell.

I've pasted by cell a lot in cases where I've previously filled in existing events with a different timing grid than what I'm using 'presently'. When I copy two adjacent cells where one of them is filled and the next one is only partially filled and paste those by cell, it will appear exactly as the one that I copied; ie: the first cell is full and the adjacent cell is only partially filled. I've never seen the sequence editor do anything different.

Pasting by time, however, totally disregards the presence of timing marks in the destination paste area.

Yes, it sounds to me like it might be what George described - perhaps you actually have two cells copied, without realizing it (perhaps because the second cell is very short), and the second cell has a little bit of an effect in it.

If that's not the case, please send a copy of the sequence file to me (bob@lightorama.com), and tell me exactly what time range/channel I should copy to get this to happen. Thanks.

bob wrote:

Yes, it sounds to me like it might be what George described - perhaps you actually have two cells copied, without realizing it (perhaps because the second cell is very short), and the second cell has a little bit of an effect in it.

**Hmmm...if that was the case, wouldn't it STILL fill the cells completely as opposed to overlapping the timing mark (IE like the green and white channels in the screen shot?)**

If that's not the case, please send a copy of the sequence file to me (bob@lightorama.com), and tell me exactly what time range/channel I should copy to get this to happen. Thanks.

**I will see if I can recreate it again tonight and send it on to you with the details you are asking for.**

bob wrote:

It would only fill the pasted second cell completely if the copied second cell was completely filled.

Hmmmm...so let me see if I got this correct...

if the source cells are filled by"time" and you copy those "timed" cells but paste them by "Paste By Cell" mode, they may either 1) not fill the cell completely or 2) overfill into the next cell?

jimswinder wrote:

bob wrote:
It would only fill the pasted second cell completely if the copied second cell was completely filled.

if the source cells are filled by"time" and you copy those "timed" cells but paste them by "Paste By Cell" mode, they may either 1) not fill the cell completely or 2) overfill into the next cell?

I see your point. Same thing I had a dilemma with.

jimswinder wrote:

bob wrote:

They should not "overfill into the next cell".

If you copy a cell which is only partially filled, it will only partially fill the cell it is pasted (by cell) to.

For example, if the cell you copied is one second long, and for the first tenth of a second is a fade up, and the next tenth of a second a fade down, and then off for the remaining eight tenths of a second, and you then paste by cell to a cell that is five seconds long, the results should be a half a second of fade up, followed by half a second of fade down, followed by four seconds of off.

jimswinder wrote:

bob wrote:

It does what we think is the most logical thing...

When you paste by cell it does exactly that, it placed into cells what was copied cell by cell and it does so by percentage.

So lets say you had a cell that was 100% full, when you copy that to another cell it will fill that cell 100% regardless of the comparitive size of the source and destination cell.

If the source cell is only 20% full then when you copy into a new cell that new cell is filled 20% regardless of the destination size.

It will not "overflow a cell". (At least this how it works for me...)

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

It will not "overflow a cell". (At least this how it works for me...)

Then I MUST have a "hidden" cell I am not seeing, because my cells seem to be overflowing...

Guess it won't be solved till I get home tonight!!! lol

Hey Bob and Dan...

As expected, it was (again) operator error.

After zooming in on the source cells, I did see that there was two cells with an event (2nd cell was not a full event) where I thought there was only one cell.

Sorry for the inconvenience...

jimswinder wrote:

Hey Bob and Dan...

As expected, it was (again) operator error.

After zooming in on the source cells, I did see that there was two cells with an event (2nd cell was not a full event) where I thought there was only one cell.

Sorry for the inconvenience...

No inconvenience... I learned something about paste by cell.

Dan