Light-O-Rama Forums

Arches Done

captainron19

Wheww.... Just completed my first set of 4 arches. A lot of work doing it without an extra set of hands but at least they are done.

Attached files 215305=11972-IMG_20101016_195128.jpg

Followed most of recommendations I got here on the forum.

Here is what I did....

Used 10' sections of gray schedule 40 PVC
I cut off 3" from one end and started my first strand 6" from the end.
Set it up with 7 channels per arch so each channel was 15" of lights.

I used 100 count minis

I am committing 2 LOR Units for the 4 arches (total of 28 channels) for the remaining 4 channels I am placing a star of white lights under each arch.

I set one up as a test.. I hammered a 2' section of rebar into the ground about 1'at an approx 70 degree angle and placed the other rebar about 6' away. Once I placed the arch in the rebar my arch was about 3' 5" high (just what I wanted)

I was surprised at how sturdy it was once I got both ends over the rebar.

It did something similar with my arch(I still need to make three more)

I had a 10' piece of PVC, and I measured it out for 8 channels, which is 13.5", so I wrapped my lights accordingly.

I decided I wanted my arch to be a little taller(about waist hight) So I stuck the rebar straight into the ground and set them up a little closer to each other, and it makes more of an "arch" rather then a "rainbow" shape.

How many arches are you running? I see if your first post you "just completed my FIRST set of 4 arches"?

I made my arches with 3/4 sch40 pvc pipe, I used two 10' lengths threaded together to give me 20', I put the ends about 12 feet apart, also using rebar to keep them inplace. I did some research and found that if you buy 1" pvc (not sch 40 the cheap stuff) and cut it into 32" sections (6), and two 15" sections, and wrape your lights around those it makes for easy storage, almost as easy setup, and looks just as good. But probably the only real diffrence is the easy storage and it only takes one person to wrap the lights. the two 15" section go on first on each side to make up the top, they stop about 2" from each other(do to the threaded coupler) that is why they are 2" shorter, just leave a few wraps of lights loose to finish the top off.

I just had no place to store long sections of PVC with lights on them.

The main benifit for me now is I can use the same middle pole for both Christmas and Halloween, just change the light sections.

I also dont know how well it would work with just using a 10' section, but I think it would be ok.

It surprises me that few are using the sleeve method of making arches and spending days wrapping a single piece of pvc..

I cut sixty-four 12" pieces of 3/4" SCHD40 pvc, wrapped 32 of them with 100ct white mini lights (they wrapped to only 11" end to end, so I trimmed the sections flush so there's no gaps), then slide them over 1/2" schd40 pipe.. if a section goes bad, I slide it off, and replace it faster than it takes to talk about it.. no unwrapping or cutting needed.. I can also swap out red or blue sections for the 4th..

TJ Hvasta wrote:

It surprises me that few are using the sleeve method of making arches and spending days wrapping a single piece of pvc..

I did the sleeve method and it worked GREAT.

I have an extra one in case something ever happened to one of them. Easy and quick to replace.

Easy storage also.

Pics .... http://www.pbase.com/dgeall/arches

Dave

How many arches are you running? I see if your first post you "just completed my FIRST set of 4 arches"?

Just doing 4

RaceMedic wrot

I have an extra one in case something ever happened to one of them. Easy and quick to replace.

Easy storage also.

Dave

Wish I saw that earlier - I would of given that method a shot - maybe for next year (plan on making some orange arches for Halloween)

captainron19 wrote:

RaceMedic wrot

Easy storage also.

Dave

Wish I saw that earlier - I would of given that method a shot - maybe for next year (plan on making some orange arches for Halloween)

In case anybody else missed it, here is where I first read about using sleeves (what some are now calling Harbs' Sleeves):

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/36584-Easy-way-to-make-arches!!!

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/39647-Arch-Sleeves

It was so easy to wrap a 18" piece -- did it while watching TV. Set up a test arch and it looked great.

I agree, the sleeve is the way to go. I have 5 arches, 7 channels apiece for 35 sleeves. I have all of my sleeves plus 5 or more extra wrapped, plus extra sleeves and lights in a large plastic bin about 30 inches long or so. Not a problem with storage.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

It was so easy to wrap a 18" piece -- did it while watching TV. Set up a test arch and it looked great.

See, thats what I dont understand.. wrapping mine tightly, each segment came to 11"-11 1/2" inches.. how are yours getting to 18"? Are you doing yours tight?

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:

See, thats what I dont understand.. wrapping mine tightly, each segment came to 11"-11 1/2" inches.. how are yours getting to 18"? Are you doing yours tight?

Nope, mine aren't wrapped tightly. I had some 50ct LED's that I tested making an arch with -- just to see how it worked with the sleeves (so I knew what I was getting myself into, being this year would be my first year with arches). I planned to convert over to higher count strings (once they were available in the stores) but was pleased enough with this test arch so just stayed with the 50ct stings for all 3 arches. Had to space the strings along the 18" a little, but was pretty easy. Here is a test video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFGWova893M?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0

That's what I mean..I use 100ct minis, each loop tight against the previous loop, and its only 11" long, your 18"is loosly wrapped then. space between each loop..

TJ Hvasta wrote:

That's what I mean..I use 100ct minis, each loop tight against the previous loop, and its only 11" long, your 18"is loosly wrapped then. space between each loop..

There is space between each loop, yes. Wrapped snug, but not overly tight. One thing I have read here is that you don't want them wrapped too tight or else there is no room for contraction if the temp drops (though probably not as much of an issue for you in AZ). Plus the sleeve does have to bend a little when you put it on the pvc arch, so again too tightly wrapped will lead to damage. When I wrap, I did 4-5 tight wraps down the length of the sleeve, and then slid those wraps up together towards the existing wraps--that provided just the right amount of tension when it was all done. Mine are wrapped tightly enough that I can hold the sleeve vertically and shake it , and the wraps don't slide.