Light-O-Rama Forums

Automation Error

Linda

I have never had any errors with the LOR software until now. I think the problem may be with the computer I'm using that I want to run the show on. When I tried to change the media file from and audio to a video file I got this error

"Automation error: The object invoked has disconnected from it's clients."

I was not able to change it back to the audio file. When I tried to exit out of the sequence it asked if I wanted to save it and when I clicked yes I got the automation error again. I lost all the work I had done on the sequence. The machine I'm wanting to use for my show machine is a Dell Dimension DIM4600 with a Pent. 4 CPU 2.8Ghz with 512 ram

Linda wrote:

I have never had any errors with the LOR software until now. I think the problem may be with the computer I'm using that I want to run the show on. When I tried to change the media file from and audio to a video file I got this error

"Automation error: The object invoked has disconnected from it's clients."

I was not able to change it back to the audio file. When I tried to exit out of the sequence it asked if I wanted to save it and when I clicked yes I got the automation error again. I lost all the work I had done on the sequence. The machine I'm wanting to use for my show machine is a Dell Dimension DIM4600 with a Pent. 4 CPU 2.8Ghz with 512 ram

Don't quote me on this, as I am just now starting to play around with video in LOR, but I think your problem may be you sequenced an audio file, then when you changed the media file to Video, the sequencer basically "crashed" with that error due to audio files and vidoe files are NOT the same creature!

The reason for that is video files and audio files are COMPLETLY DIFFERENT from each other, an audio file is nothing but music or sounds, whereas the video file has audio tracks, sometimes more than one, as well as the video and video overlays, if you change to a video from an audio it just can't work because of the differences in the way they are encoded.

What I'd recommend if you had already sequenced an audio file that is contained in a video file you want to use later, is this:

Step #1. Open a new sequence in the LOR Sequencer, having the original audio sequence open.

Step #2. Load the video in the new sequence.

Step #3. go back to the audio sequence and now click on the first cell in the first channel line(upper left corner), now select the "select All" from the edit drop-down menu

Step #4. Click on the first cell in the upper left in the new sequence, click paste and your audio sequence will be copied to your new Video sequence. This way you don't mess with your original audio sequence and won't lose it (as long as you did save it first, (right?))

This would be the only way I know to transfer and create a video sequence from an existing audio sequence.

BTW: I just tried to change the media file from audio to video in an audio sequence I had created from a video soundtrack I had ripped from, when I loaded the video using the media file import, I got the same problem you encountered. So I tried the above and it worked fine.

So I'd definitely say you just can't go from an audio created sequence to a video just by changing or using the media file to change it. At least this has been my experience.

I'm using Windows XP (all the latest updates and service packs), 512MB ram (max for my system) and 1.2Ghz Pentium III, LOR Sequencer 2.8.12

Hope this helps!

REMINDER: Never WORK on your original sequence, make a copy and work from that! And make sure you always save your work, this way you have the original file, and hopefully even a backup (.BAK) file you can revert back to in case of a problem!

I guess I've been lucky up until this incidence because I have changed sequences from audio to video without any problems in the past, but I'll try your suggestion the next time. Thank you

Linda wrote:

I guess I've been lucky up until this incidence because I have changed sequences from audio to video without any problems in the past, but I'll try your suggestion the next time. Thank you

Interesting that you could do that since these two files are basically "incompatible" with each other once they've been created as one unit, that is a video file or an audio file. I've not been able to change from one to the other in the LOR Sequencer at all. I've tried to load several different videos in place of the audio file I ripped an "audio track" from, especially since you brought this issue up, so I opted to try it to see if it would work.

My results are: I have not been successful in changing from an audio file to a video file at all in the LOR Sequencer where everything was kept the same from just an audio file laid down sequence. When I did load a video in place of the existing audio track, since video and audio files are different, the video file overwriting the audio track DOES skew or mess up the existing sequence, not to say timings and other factors laid down using just the audio track itself. And most often the sequencer would crash with an error after doing this, not to mention destroy the existing sequence.

So I'd still recommend not just loading a video over an existing audio sequence due to the destructive possibilities that can happen when doing so, and do it the way outlined above to maintain the original sequence created. But you may have to TWEAK the NEW Sequence to get it to flow properly to the video file.