Light-O-Rama Forums

Getting Show to Stop

Guest guest

I have finally resolved my controller issue thanks to Dan. The show is running and everything is great. I have scheduled my show to start at 6:00 p.m. and end at 10:00 p.m. The lights came on tonight right on time but they did not shut down. What do I need to do in the schedule editor to correct this?

My show is so simple its embarrassing compared to what most of you do. Its simple animation, no music. I have no clean up sequences or anything like that. I just want the show to start at 6:00 and end at 10:00. Any help out there?

I had this problem, too, a couple of days ago with the X10 part of my display. The show over time would pass, and the lights would stay on.

What I did was have the lights turn on and run in a background sequence. This kept them running the whole show without any flickers or turning off. But that's the problem, they don't turn off...ever...if you don't have something that tells them to.

So what I did, and it should work for you, too, is make a very simple sequence, even more simple than what you've already got (I spent a couple of hours trying to figure out how to get the things to turn off, and when I figured out how simple it actually was, I spent the next 10 minutes laughing in hysterics at myself).

If you have the lights turn on in a background sequence which stays on for the whole show (that's what I do), I've discovered that you'll also need a "shutdown" part the the show. The shutdown sequence I made was a minute long (doesn't have to be, could be just a couple of seconds) and the only thing I did was have the lights on for the first block of time, and then off for the second (I'm sure you could do it with them just off for the first one, but I wanted to do it this way just to make sure). Fired the same show up that night, and it worked like a charm.

I hope this helps some.

Hi Carrie,

Glad that you got it running.

Some ideas, and these are all mistakes I have made, be sure the show you edit is the show you have schedule to run. Then double check that the animation sequence or sequences are the only thing in the show. Also how long is the animation? because it will run to completion once after 10PM (example: if it is 15min sequence and it started a cycle at 9:59, it will go to 10:14).

Hope this might provide some ideas

Doug C.

Dan, first off, thank you for all your previous help. Resetting each controller did the trick. The brownouts are gone and controller 3 is working like a charm! In answer to your question, we gave it 15 minutes and it continued to run. I then shut it down manually on the computer. Could this be due to the loop that was added or the number of loops? I can't remember how many you said you put in to my sequence off hand, but I can check?

Would the addition of this sequence, minus the loop, but into the show editor at shut down to the trick?

LightORama wrote:

Kenny,

A very good tip!... The X10 should be shut down at the end of the background section. How long is you background sequence and how many X10 channels are in it?

Dan,

The sequence is a minute long, and controls 3 X10 channels. I was away from home a couple of nights ago when I first lit up, and expected it to be dark when I got home (I hadn't gotten my late night lights hooked up yet), and my yard was still flashing away like it knew it would die tomorrow!:laughing: The LOR stuff works like a charm, the X10 just decided not to. I did put the turn off command in the "Shutdown" part of the show, and it works fine like that.

Hope everything is going well with Carrie's show.

X10 is not always that reliable. We will be adding a feature next release that will optionally send the command multiple times to X10... This will help. I know that people are using the X10 in background OK without the need to put in a shutdown but it does help.

LightORama wrote:

X10 is not always that reliable. We will be adding a feature next release that will optionally send the command multiple times to X10... This will help. I know that people are using the X10 in background OK without the need to put in a shutdown but it does help.

I do both, just for safety. Don't want lots of high-amp lights running all night, lest I get a thank you card from the power company...

But the background-sequence alone should do the job.

As some may remember I was having X-10 issues earlier this month. I had moved my CM-11A interface closer to the computer for unrelated reasons off-season, and hadn't considered that fact when I had issues with my show. For some reason, I can't plug my CM-11A in near the computer and have X-10 work reliably (perhaps it's the fact there are 2 UPS's on that circuit, 2 computers, and a lot of misc networking equipment). Instead, I run a 50' cable across the room (hidden along a built-in bookcase) to another outlet on another circuit. That seems to clear things up.

Someday I'll probably invest in an X-10 amplifier/repeater and hopefully that will make X-10 100% reliable. But for now I have things working again...

Long story short: Try moving the CM-11A onto another circuit further from the computer. You can extend the stock cable with a telephone handset extension cord and an inline splicer (the smaller plugs will feel loose in the splicer, but it does work).

-Tim

LightORama wrote:

HI,

In what show section do you have that sequence? Is it in the Musical Section or the Animation Section?

Thanks
Dan

Dan, the sequence is in the animation section. Tonight, again, the show did not shut down. I'm puzzled...:cryingsong:

Carrie Sansing wrote:

Dan, the sequence is in the animation section. Tonight, again, the show did not shut down. I'm puzzled...:cryingsong:

I am puzzled also... can you email me the following files which can be found in your Light-O-Rama folder:

...../Light-O-Rama/yearsched.lsc

..../Light-O-Rama/weeksched.lsc

from the /Light-O-Rama/Sequence Folder send animation sequence

..../Light-O-Rama/Sequences/????????.las

and the Show file

..../Light-O-Rama/Sequences/????????.lss

With those files I can set things up exactly as you have them and see what is going on.