Light-O-Rama Forums

Light-O-Rama Server

Guest guest

Am I correct that LOR can run on a server? so I can run the show from my computer on our network in my room?

It would not be possible for me to run cables out my window, so we are using a server and running a short cable directly to the LOR box. Just wanted to make sure.

lkcubsrule wrote:

Am I correct that LOR can run on a server? so I can run the show from my computer on our network in my room?

It would not be possible for me to run cables out my window, so we are using a server and running a short cable directly to the LOR box. Just wanted to make sure.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

If you're talking about having a server with no keyboard/mouse/monitor closer to the lights, but connected to your home network, that could be done. You'd need to use a remote desktop utility (such as the one built into XP) to "drive" the computer from the one in your room.

If I'm missing the question, please let me know what it is you're trying to do...

-Tim

Yeah, that's pretty much what I want to do. My brother is helping me with the Remote Desktop...we just finished installing XP on it. I have his KVM switch (b/c my computer has a virus) adn I'm on the soon-to-be-server adn it works great. Just wanted to make sure that it would work.

I will have a transmitter so i can transmit upstairs and have sound from my radio.

Thanks

You'll need to have XP Pro on the "server" (not the Home edition), activate it's remote desktop capability, and it's best to set up a fixed IP address on it so the address stays the same, that way when you try to connet to it from your other computer you don't have any problems.

Here is another thing to keep in mind - on the machine that is running your show - use a simple form of AntiVirus software such as the free version of AVG - as it shouldn't interfere with your show software. I am having a little difficulty with one of my workstations running LOR - as there is too much activity in the background. If you use McAfee AV you may see some latency challenges. And then again I may be wrong.

When you run using the KVM switch you shouldn't have any troubles. Using Remote Desktop you will have some latency challenges while the show is running, just disconnect for your shows.