Light-O-Rama Forums

Importing Channel configurations

bisquit476

Is there any way to import a channel configuration without it replacing the configuration already in place. In other words, add it to the bottom of the current configuration. The reason for this is I'm going from 16 to 32 channels in my Halloween display this year. In doing so, I need to add the new items to the channel list, but I want to add them so that they are listed in the order they appear in the yard. Basically make the channel list top to bottom equal the yard display left to right. In doing so, some of the items need moved in my channel configuration. If I add them now, in one sequence, and save the configuration, then when I import them into the next sequence, it will screw up the new sequence because the some of the items have been moved. So, is there any way to import a channel configuration without replacing the one already there? Thanks in advance for any help,

Bill

Unfortunately, not that I know of.

I had the same problem when I went from 64 to 80 channels.

So I had the original 64 channel sequence and then I had to create a new sequence with the added channels and then copy from the original 64 channel sequence into the new 80 channel sequence, it's the only way I could do it that I could find.

Yes, this can be done. This is the way I do it.

Open a existing sequence (last years for example. Right click on track 1 header and duplicate the track. Name it what ever you want. Do NOT make any changes in track 1! Make all your additions in track 2, and put the channels (items) in the order you want them.

Save your sequence with a new name so you don't loose your original sequence. Export the channel configuration. Now when you open another existing sequence you can import this channel config and it will import with you existing sequencing intact. After checking that the import worked like you expected you can delete track 1 (last years channel config) that will move the 2010 channel config into the track one position.

All this assumes that ALL you channels are in track 1. No matter how many tracks I use my track one I consider my "master" track. It has ALL my channels listed in it.

Hi Bill,

Here's how I would do what you're asking about.

1) Start a new file, 16 channels long, and configure all of your new channels. Save it, and export the channel configuration. Close the file.

2) Open up a 16 channel sequence from last year. Do a "File Save As" function to save as a new name, maybe with 2010 in the name.

3) Right click on the first channel of last year's sequence, and insert 16 blank channels above. Now you have 16 blank channels on top and the 16 channels from your old sequence on the bottom.

4) Import the channel configuration you saved up in the first step. It will fill in the 16 blank channels at the top. Your existing channels from last year will be at the bottom.

You can drag rows/channels around if you want to re-order the channels. Save the file when done.

Repeat steps 2-4 for each sequence from last year...

You're done!!!

Randy wrote:

Hi Bill,

Here's how I would do what you're asking about.

1) Start a new file, 16 channels long, and configure all of your new channels. Save it, and export the channel configuration. Close the file.

2) Open up a 16 channel sequence from last year. Do a "File Save As" function to save as a new name, maybe with 2010 in the name.

3) Right click on the first channel of last year's sequence, and insert 16 blank channels above. Now you have 16 blank channels on top and the 16 channels from your old sequence on the bottom.

4) Import the channel configuration you saved up in the first step. It will fill in the 16 blank channels at the top. Your existing channels from last year will be at the bottom.

You can drag rows/channels around if you want to re-order the channels. Save the file when done.

Repeat steps 2-4 for each sequence from last year...

You're done!!!

This would work, but could require allot of work dragging rows/channels around in each sequence.

True, but it depends on how much moving the OP wants to do. Then again, it's only 32 channels...It would probably only take a few minutes for each sequence...

Randy wrote:

True, but it depends on how much moving the OP wants to do. Then again, it's only 32 channels...It would probably only take a few minutes for each sequence...

Yeah, it may be possible to get 32 channels situated on the screen, where S2's lack of ability to scroll up or down while moving a channel would be minimized.

Here is option C

In your first new sequence get everything where and how you want it with your new channels and export the sequence.

Make a note of where you added your new channels. EX. 2 channels below red bush, 5 new channels below blue skeleton....etc

In your next new sequences, insert blank channels into the proper places and then import the configuration. Everything should line up.

NOTE: If you are shuffling channels around you will still need to do that for each sequence.

It's still a lot quicker than defining all the new channels every time.

Thanks guys,

I knew someone here would have an idea that I didn't think of, Randy, you are that guy. I hadn't thought of trying adding blank channels above last years sequence and then importing, I was too busy trying to get the system to do something it's not meant to do. I'm now goina go try that, as well as Paul, and Brian's ideas, to see which way is easier for me. Thanks again guys, I appreciate the help,

Bill