Light-O-Rama Forums

September's almost gone........ We want LOR 2, We want LOR 2!

Guest guest

kr2828 wrote:

I thought maybe this would help. :laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Will LOR2 do any good without the new software? I'm still confused over what LOR2 will do differently.

contactmike1 wrote:

Will LOR2 do any good without the new software? I'm still confused over what LOR2 will do differently.

LOR2 is a combination of new software and firmware.
You can't have one without the other.

I'm anxiously awaiting the release of LOR2 as everyone else. The important thing to remember is this: we've been told it will be out for this season. That means that it could be tomorrow, or it could be December 24th (technically, I'm sure Dan meant it to mean more exactly for the lighting season, which could run, depending on when you do your lights, from now until December 24th also, but with a zeroing in on the mid October-mid November timeframe).

In short, don't wait on, or rely on it for this year's display. Go ahead and start with LOR (if you already have it, or go ahead and purchase it...he's also said it's cheaper than LOR2 will be), and then transfer it over once LOR2 does come out.

***Disclaimer-----the above speculation of mid-October to mid-November is using the SAWAG method (simply a wild ... guess) as I have no clue when it will be released***

I also have no clue what all new it's going to do, but I can't wait to find out, and somehow utilize it!

Thanks Don! That was my guess. Say, we haven't had any official news about dates or what it will do?

I bet the new D-Light software will turn up the heat a little. :shock:

**Edit** I was writing when the above post was made. If I remember correctly, the lastest from Dan was more hopeful it would be out for this season, but it would be very close--a no promises kind of deal.

BUT their will be a big confusion when LOR II & the new D-Light comes out. The new software and firmware for LOR will most likley make the controllers unable to operate with the new d-light softwae B/C they said it will work now wilt LOR but with-out certain features now, but if sombody was to get the totaly new LOR II firmware then most likly the LOR controllers wont work with D-Light. And the same for D-Light When LOR II comes out D-Light boards wont work untill they come up with new firmware, which could also mean that then the controllers wont work with the new D-Light software. (Which D-light might not like?) Does anyone think this could be true?

---Daniel L

I think you are right about some of the issues Daniel.

I have thought about a few of these issues and was wondering if LORII might use some encrypted protocol so somebody can not make compatible light controllers. I think D-light might have even thought this and is now making their own complete solution with their new software.

It seems like AL, D-light, LOR have their own protocol so you will not be able to mix and match.

One thing nice about DMX is that it was a standard so many companies can make lighting devices that will work with one system. Now that D-light has their own software I am thinking they might not make (or can) d-light boards work with the new LORII protocol.

I have a feeling that those who have a mix of LOR and D-light boards are going to have some issues. It could be that if you have a mix you might end up having to use LORI or switching over to D-lights news software since their software is based on the LORI protocol. I thought about this a few months ago when I bought all my hardware so I stuck with all LOR products so I would be able to switch over to LORII without any hassles. I have been tempted though to buy some DC based control boards from d-light to control some LEDs though since LOR does not have a DC based solution.

The next few months are going to be interesting for Computerized Christmas Lighting.

Richard,

Yes, you said it a little better! My personal opinion is to just wait and get the free LOR II upgrade.

--Daniel L

P.S.- My opinion is in this post, my thoughts are in my above post. :laughing:

RichardH wrote:

The D-light software sounds pretty sweet. LOR may loose a few people if d-lights software comes out before LOR2.

Yes, it almost happened to me! I ordered the day before the annoucement from D-light. I can assure you, had I waited a day I still would own nothing. I'd wait as long as possible to see which company had a better product.

Daniel wrote:

BUT their will be a big confusion when LOR II & the new D-Light comes out. The new software and firmware for LOR will most likley make the controllers unable to operate with the new d-light softwae B/C they said it will work now wilt LOR but with-out certain features now, but if sombody was to get the totaly new LOR II firmware then most likly the LOR controllers wont work with D-Light. And the same for D-Light When LOR II comes out D-Light boards wont work untill they come up with new firmware, which could also mean that then the controllers wont work with the new D-Light software. (Which D-light might not like?) Does anyone think this could be true?

---Daniel L

You may be correct. However, if I remember correctly the LOR2 protocol will be open source. (VERY SORRY if I'm wrong, but I think I remember Dan mentioning this.) Dan can you comment on this?

If I had to guess, I'd say LOR2 will control the current D-light boards fine, but D-light may not be able to control LOR2 yet. Dan, do you know what the software compatibilities will be for LOR and D-light?

Yes, I think you are right Mike, it will have a devlopers package. So D-Light can make the firmware but D-Light still wont work B/C if they work now and we need to get OUR firmware for LOR II than D-Light could not work.

--Daniel L

HMMM..... No, Currently D-light and LOR 1 do though, B/C They are on the same network. But you might have a good idea! Just create two seperate networks and it should work?

Ok, Im done, I am waiting for Dan or somone who knows what they are talking about!

----Daniel L

If the software is open source then I would assume D-Light and LOR will eventually work together. They may not when first released, but give them some time and I am sure they will work out their differences. LOR now controls most products and LOR2 has been said to control as many products with the addition of DMX and others. When new things come out there will be a lag until upgrades can be made. Right now d-light has features in the software and board that LOR does not have. I am sure that will be the same when LOR2 is released. When it comes down to it both software packages are not going to be able to be used much for this years display anyway. We are right at 2 months from lights on for most people. :shock:

Chris

I can't, of course, speak for Dan, but if I was in charge, I probably wouldn't make it real convenient for folks to go buy the competition's product instead of my own.

Dan's a nice guy, but you folks are basically doing the equivalant of walking into Target and asking them to help you place an order at Wal-Mart.com...

I think everyone should expect the worst case: That LOR II will be incompatible with D-Light II (or whatever the new standard is called over there). This may not be true, either short or long term, but don't expect compatibility, and don't expect Dan or anyone at LOR to comment on unreleased products.

To be fair, I think the "LOR vs D-Light" discussions belong in the generic "Synchronizing Light Shows" forum. Let's keep the LOR forum about LOR, and the D-Lite forum about D-Lite, just like we have learned to keep AL and LOR separate. Even though LOR and D-Light are similar and compatable now, they are competing products, and we need to show each company due respect. Both Dan and Darryl (and Dick) are good people and deserve such respect.

-Tim