Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB- doing a chase in a CCR with a background color

steve synek

I just got started on the new s2 with RGB. My question is as follows. I have a ribbon set up as an arch. What is the quickest way to turn the entire ribbon on in red and have a green chase run through the ribbon with the red remaining on as a constant color (background).

I love the new chase feature. I could not figure out how to keep one color on while running another color through the ribbon.

How come when you want something, you can't find it? I was also looking for an overview of the features now available in the RGB programming.

Steve

Steve,

I hope someone has a nice quick way of doing it. I don't. I've done it by manually cutting and pasting the first complete chase in each direction and then cutting and pasting the entire timings as many times as needed. Definitely time consuming. I had hoped to be able to do it using foreground/background tools but so far I haven't succeeded.

Same here. I just did this exact effect going through several runs of colors on the Main Street Electrical Parade sequence I am working on. I tried all sorts of things before resigning myself to doing it the manual way. Now if someone comes on here and tells me there is a really simple way of doing it, I think I will bang my head on the wall. heh.

Here is how i do it.
1. start with the chase. Use the color fade tool and choose a fade from red to green.
2. place the fade in one cell ( even in the one cell drag from left to right to make the fade. Place it in the upper left of where you want it but leave one cell to the left for the next step.
3. go back to the fade tool and swap the colors ( green on the left and red on the right)
4. place this fade in the next cell to the right same technique, drag left to right in that cell.
5. you should have a red to green to red fade.
6. now use the chase tool to make your chase running from upper left to lower right.

7. now back to the fade tool and copy red into the green side so you have a red to red fade.
8. lay that fade in a vertical column down the left side of your chase (where you left the one cell in step 2 and another down the right side of the chase. You end up with a BIG N.

9. lastly use the fill tool to fill in the black areas. It will fill in between the vertical red cells and the chase, do this on both sides.

Her is an example sequence. The first one is a short chase, the second one I lengthened the chase part by separating the red to green and green to red by one cell and then using the fill tool to fill in the green middle.

I should add that it took my way longer to type this in then it did to make the sequence. Once you get used to this (not to start a feud ) I have no need for Macros.

Rick

Attached files chase.las

Fabian wrote:

Steve, are you after something like this or am I oversimplifying?

This can be done in less than 60 seconds.

Fabian

Fabian

I can't view your picture.

Steve

huskernut wrote:

Here is how i do it.
1. start with the chase. Use the color fade tool and choose a fade from red to green.
2. place the fade in one cell ( even in the one cell drag from left to right to make the fade. Place it in the upper left of where you want it but leave one cell to the left for the next step.
3. go back to the fade tool and swap the colors ( green on the left and red on the right)
4. place this fade in the next cell to the right same technique, drag left to right in that cell.
5. you should have a red to green to red fade.
6. now use the chase tool to make your chase running from upper left to lower right.

7. now back to the fade tool and copy red into the green side so you have a red to red fade.
8. lay that fade in a vertical column down the left side of your chase (where you left the one cell in step 2 and another down the right side of the chase. You end up with a BIG N.

9. lastly use the fill tool to fill in the black areas. It will fill in between the vertical red cells and the chase, do this on both sides.

Her is an example sequence. The first one is a short chase, the second one I lengthened the chase part by separating the red to green and green to red by one cell and then using the fill tool to fill in the green middle.

I should add that it took my way longer to type this in then it did to make the sequence. Once you get used to this (not to start a feud ) I have no need for Macros.

Rick

Rick

That's it!!!!!!!!

Thank you.

I too am resisting the Macros method of programming.

Steve

I guess I need to improve my reading skills. I thought it was asked how to do a multi color chase but he did say that the red stays on the whole time. I thought he wanted the red to overwrite the green.

I have two chases going opposite directions on my sequence, on one side is red and the other side is green. When they meet in the middle the color becomes yellow and continues to the edge where two other colors come into play and combine in the middle to form yet another color.

The fill does not work so great when you have a fixed timing grid where the chase is less than 50 squares wide. The reason is because some squares become only half filled with the color. When you try to do a fill on those squares it performs a wide color fade near where the two colors meet instead of getting a nice solid transition. So you can either do a color fade as a solid color and then click the black part of the last square and it will blend the colors, or you can create a free form timing grid and add 50 squares to span your chase segment.