Light-O-Rama Forums

Rainbow Floods Using the UTILTECH Enclosure - How To

jjdurrant

I built mine a little differently:
IMG_2184.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

Sorry, I don't have details pictures of the process, but I used ideas I found here. The white one was a FreeCycle find, and I built 2 more of the yellow one. The red and yellow should be totally waterproof.

lights.jpg

I did a similar project using the 500w enclosures from Home Depot. Im using the cat-5 adapters to weather proof them and drilled holes to insert some hooks to suspend the rainbow cards with zip ties

jjdurrant wrote:

Cool.. I like the idea of using two floods on one enclosure. Are you using are three colors?

With the exception of the connector, the boards are built as described in the manual. I wired directly to the holes where the connectors would be installed, then installed the waterproof RJ45 connectors by drilling a hole in the junction box. I plugged the smaller hole, where the power cord was, with glue. In the yellow Home Depot lights, I used spaces and hot glue to hold the boards in place. In the red Lowe's lights, I used a piece of wood as recommended by some other user here.

Just so everyone is aware, all the floods are back in stock...assembled and DIY. Also, the mounting plates are no longer purple, they are now red, for those of you that care.

We just counted out over 10,000 LEDs and I personally am ready to go blind!!!!!:shock:

Ponddude wrote:

Just so everyone is aware, all the floods are back in stock...assembled and DIY. Also, the mounting plates are no longer purple, they are now red, for those of you that care.

We just counted out over 10,000 LEDs and I personally am ready to go blind!!!!!:shock:

So you hand count out each pack? WOW! My respect level just went up for you sir.

Dan C wrote:

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a housing for the spot lights?

I found these at HD and they work pretty well for spots and are cheap. They sell singles for $10.xx and doubles for $19.xx around here. The doubles unscrew from the base leaving you with two singles (identical to the singles, but you only have one base between the 2 of them). I plan to then attach these to poles of various lengths for mounting raised off the ground.
Lithonia Lighting 2-Lamp Outdoor Floodlight (they offer bronze color and white)
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xjv/R-100652906/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
a8d1495b-b3af-4950-a5a0-9bf4802b2b75_300.jpga9f04e4c-e280-4753-924b-68d8c92b70ab_300.jpg

With these, I found that they were just big enough to allow the cat5 to be plugged into the RJ45 jack rather than soldering them to the board (with room to leave the aluminum reflective lining in the enclosure). Not room to have a RJ45 connected to the "out" jack for daisy chaining, but I don't plan to do this anyways. There may be room if you put the spot in diagonal or if you soldered the cat5.

While on the topic, I found these Brinks Flood Lights at Walmart for $10 and they work perfect for the Rainbow floods. There is room for RJ45 plug to attach to both the in and out jacks in this enclosure, and leave in the aluminum lining.
02BrinksLight.jpg

Are you using those for the Rainbow Spotlight or the Floodlights?

If you are using them for the Spotlights, how bright are they in there?

Actually, I am using the same Home depot Lithonia housings for my flood lights.

I was hoping for something a little smaller for the spot lights. :)

As for mounting them on a pole to raise them up off the ground, here is how I connected them to Galv. Conduit. I then ran the wire down the conduit and out a grommeted hole in the side.

100_8801.jpg

Greg wrote:

Where did you get your waterproof RJ45 Connectors from?

I got some from eBay. That listing has ended, but you can get them here for $4.75 each in quantity 10.

Ponddude wrote:

Are you using those for the Rainbow Spotlight or the Floodlights?

If you are using them for the Spotlights, how bright are they in there?

I'm using the Lithonia enclosures for my spots and Brinks for my floods. I haven't compared spots in and out of the enclosure so not sure how bright they are "in there." Making me nervous now though, so I will have to compare.

Reason I went with these was that I could fit a spot in there without having to solder the cat5 to the board (purely due to the fact that I don't feel comfortable soldering close together stuff yet).

Steven wrote:

Greg wrote:
Where did you get your waterproof RJ45 Connectors from?

I got some from eBay. That listing has ended, but you can get them here for $4.75 each in quantity 10.

I got mine from ebay too. I contacted the seller (him-again) and had him setup a sale just for me. I got 40 of them for 160 including shipping. He was a goo dseller to buy form.

There should be absolutely no difference between the lights inside the enclosure or out...I worded my question wrong I think.

The reason I was asking as I was looking to supply everyone with some sort of commercially available enclosure for the Spotlights, but they are so small it is rather hard to find.

Exactly the problem I'm running into.. I have no idea whats a good enclosure for the Spots being as small as they are.. I have a couple old plastic lo-volt landscaping housings that have a faded plastic lens (broken actually).. I was going to cut some plexi- and hotglue it over the opening.. Greg, how hot do the Spots get? I was thinking of some smaller tupperware to mount them in..