Light-O-Rama Forums

Multi-Conductor Wire?

Donny M. Carter

I'm thinking about using some multi-conductor wiring on the roof line of my home. Can I get a few suggestions on all aspects of doing this. I use SPT wire in my display, just trying to cut down on the number of wire runs up my roof line. Thanks for the help!

Are you using LED's or incandescents?

I am using 1500' of 300 Volt / 8 Conductor Shielded 18AWG cable for a lot of my applications...but I am running all LED's and had no problem when I tested it out on some individual strings, and will only be running one 100ct string per two conductors. Time will tell when it is outside in the rain and cold.

And not cheap (about .40 per foot)...but cheaper than running SPT-2.

I ran it because of the weight of the SPT-2...would have been too heavy where it needed to be used.

jimswinder wrote:

Are you using LED's or incandescents?

I am using 1500' of 300 Volt / 8 Conductor Shielded 18AWG cable for a lot of my applications...but I am running all LED's and had no problem when I tested it out on some individual strings, and will only be running one 100ct string per two conductors. Time will tell when it is outside in the rain and cold.

And not cheap (about .40 per foot)...but cheaper than running SPT-2.

I ran it because of the weight of the SPT-2...would have been too heavy where it needed to be used.

Did you use standard plugs to make up your ends?

Donny M. Carter wrote"

Did you use standard plugs to make up your ends?

I used 9-pin Molex type connectors.

Attached files 213379=11899-140.jpg

Donny M. Carter wrote:

thanks for the info Jim.

found them on eBay...50 cents for both ends and the 18 pins (male and female)

company was TNC Scooters in Tennessee

tncscooters.com

if you get them, get the crimper also...only $15