Light-O-Rama Forums

Channels - It's A Subjective Thing

Guest Guest

Guest wbottomley

A little on/off topic here.

In the past, many would show the number of channels they have running their display. That held true until the incorporation of DMX and/or RGB pixels/nodes.

For example, it takes 150 or 50 RGB channels to run the CCR.

Just like four sets of RGB pixels (42 per string) is 504 DMX channels.

I know one person in Australia that's having over 4,000 channels this season with multiple DMX universes.

Off to get the popcorn ready. :)

Seems that nothing remains the same, does it Will. Things are always in a flux and changing. Kind of reminds me of Morphis telling Neo about the rules of things in the Dojo. "Some rules can be bent, some can't."

I say if it is a line in the sequencer that requires programming for your light show then its counted. : )

RGB = 3 channels

Damn you Bill, I hate the smell of popcorn when I'm trying to concentrate on sequencing... I hear you're enjoying the "f" key...

I kind of agree with Paul, except as a sporting gesture, I'm willing to count a CCR as having 50 channels, one for each pixel.

I think that question was asked somewhere on this forum before :) Specifically the person was asking about the CCR and the channel count that should be used to determine the contest category to enter. Someone (I believe it was Dan) suggested that the channel count should be the number of channels used in the sequence editor. Depending on how you had it configured, it could be up to 150 per CCR or as small as the just the macro channels. I thought that seemed the fairest.

I don't have any popcorn. Hopefully Tim H makes enough for everyone.

rwertz wrote:

I think that question was asked somewhere on this forum before :) Specifically the person was asking about the CCR and the channel count that should be used to determine the contest category to enter. Someone (I believe it was Dan) suggested that the channel count should be the number of channels used in the sequence editor. Depending on how you had it configured, it could be up to 150 per CCR or as small as the just the macro channels. I thought that seemed the fairest.

Dan may have said that somewhere but that was not the official contest rule for 2009 video contest.

The rule I believe was to count the CCR as 32 channels. I decided not to enter that part because I had 2 actual controllers (32 channels) with 3 CCR arches. There was no way that my entry (128 channels) would look anywhere as good as someone with 3 eight channel aches (24 channels total) when my arches were being counted as 32 a piece (96 channels total).

But honestly I would not win the video contest even in the 32 channel group, it just seemed my category was bumped way too high for my use of CCRs.

I think Dan will have to rethink his categories especially if LOR releases any other products in future such as a flood or controllable RGB light string.

I agree with Jeff M., my channel count has been removed. Besides the amount of channels and lights dont matter unless you program them correctly and most all of set them up in your yard in a way that makes sense. Don't just put out 100,000 lights just to put out 100,000 lights! They have to look good!

rwertz wrote:

I think that question was asked somewhere on this forum before. Specifically the person was asking about the CCR and the channel count that should be used to determine the contest category to enter. Someone (I believe it was Dan) suggested that the channel count should be the number of channels used in the sequence editor. Depending on how you had it configured, it could be up to 150 per CCR or as small as the just the macro channels. I thought that seemed the fairest.

I was wrong. It was Kevin that made that suggestion, not Dan.

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum81/19388.html