Light-O-Rama Forums

Light Keeper Pro

shfr26

Worth every penny when you have a mini out on one of your decorations.
I had a deer that 1/2 the lights go out after set up.
Stayed that way until I got a Light Keeper Pro in an after Christmas sale.
Less than a minute I had the deer lit!

I can't find mine, but I printed out a 40% off coupon from HobbyLobby.com and will be heading over to the store tomorrow. They have LKP on display for $19.97, so with coupon I will only be paying $12. Even if I find my existing one in some tub it will be nice to have a spare.

Can someone explain how this works? What does the trigger gun looking thing do?

I have a pen sized thing I bought maybe 10 years ago that will detect which wire has power on it ( an LED glows ) so you can see which light the power stops moving up the line on, is this similar?

Thanks

huskernut wrote:

Can someone explain how this works?

It's a piezo just like what starts a gas grill. Click and a high voltage comes out.

huskernut wrote:
What does the trigger gun looking thing do?

Basically it fixes the shorting wire in a bad bulb that makes the rest of the lights work.

huskernut wrote:
I have a pen sized thing ... is this similar?

It does have a feature that works similar but is more sensitive and reliable.

huskernut wrote:

Can someone explain how this works? What does the trigger gun looking thing do?

I have a pen sized thing I bought maybe 10 years ago that will detect which wire has power on it ( an LED glows ) so you can see which light the power stops moving up the line on, is this similar?

Thanks

If one light goes out then the whole string goes out.

The LKP send a charge through the set of light and once it reaches the burnt out light it sort of fuses the metal and then the lights work! You look for the one that doesn't light up replace it.

Sorry didnt see Ernie's post before replying.

PaulXmas wrote:

You look for the one that doesn't light up replace it.

I forgot to mention that you have to replace the burnt out bulb(s) promptly. I believe that John DeCosmo (President of Ultalit Tree, THE LKP folks) said that with one bulb out, you decrease the life the other bulbs by 15% and with two bulbs out, it jumps to 33%.

These strings have life of about 2000 hours. If you ever get at string that has four or more bulbs out after zapping a string, it's time to pitch it. Sure you can get it to work but another bulb is going in a day or two.

The light keeper pro causes the shunt in the bulb to fuse together

right below the filiment there is a shunt it is a little peice of wire wraped around near the bottom of the bulb

the lpk will shock and fix it if this is the problem

A note though

if there is a circuit problem or a loose bulb it may hinder it from fixing the burnt out blulb problem

also I have seen bulbs with out the shunt or a missing or damaged shunt

but for the main part the lpk is a very handy tool

this tool will work on most incandecent light sets

also if you use the blub hookup on the tool do not shock it while hooked up to a light o rama controller so you dont cause damage to the controller

the shunt fix part of the tool does work I have fixed several sets

I read online people do complain that it does not work like on qvc.com (but you cant please everybody they expect it to put the lights up on the house for them and to go get the news paper)

T110431 wrote:

I read online people do complain that it does not work like on qvc.com

It would be nice if it only required one click, hardly ever is it that easy though. Usually I have to click it 5, 10 maybe 20 times. Sometimes it seems as if it's inversely proportional to how desperately I want them to work because of cold temperatures, standing in an awkward position, risking broken bones or death. But it does work.

I recently acquired a bunch of 400 count strings for free. Well clearly I got what I paid for. It took several times of hammering away at the LKP to get some sections going. Some sections had three, four or more bulbs out. I ended up scrapping these for the plug ends and wire but the point is that the LKP worked on every one of them.

I normally click it about 20 times just to be sure every thing is shocked
or defibrillated

The Christmas light defibrillator

I think the video says to click it about 20 to 25 times on their website

I bought one last year but got frustrated and stopped using it. I may give it another shot this year. Although, I have switched much of my display to led so I may no longer need it.

• 2 years later...

Reviving an old thread.

I bought one today.

Removing one bulb and clicking the trigger didn't fix the string.

I used the voltage detector as directed (I think) but it beeps for

all parts of the wire even if I remove a bulb in the center of the string.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dennis