Light-O-Rama Forums

Slow or Lagging Animation Playback under current Version .8/.10

Jeff140

I have been running a Celeron 1.0, 512 ram successfully for two seasons as my show computer that I have in my garage, specifically for that purpose. Recently, when the last flurry of upgrades came out I installed them on my computers. I checked to make sure that they would continue to work on the older computer as I don't want to invest or set up yet another computer at this time - just for speed. Upon installing .8 and then also .10 upgrades I noticed that the playback animation does not keep up and sometimes locks up, but the music continues to play.

For example, I'm only playing 56 channels, seven of a face with movements. It didn't seem to matter if the face movements were on their own track or in another sequence I have the face on the same track.

Now I don't need to be playing the animation on my show computer, but I'm worried that once I set up for Halloween I'll discover the slow down and lock ups and I just don't want to deal with it then.

Believe me I have trouble shot about everything and I'm considering going back to the .6 version on my show computer, but I'm sure there would be problems with that composing on .10 and playback on .6?

Is anyone else experiencing this on an older machine with the new releases?
Thanks,
Jeff

Is it possible that the issue is that it's unsynchronized due to using a variable bit rate MP3?

Could you please send me (bob@lightorama.com) a copy of a sequence where you have this issue?

Perhaps try making sure that your computer is completely up to date with Windows Update, and making sure that you have the latest version of Windows Media Player installed, and disabling any unnecessary codecs and such.

Now I don't need to be playing the animation on my show computer, but I'm worried that once I set up for Halloween I'll discover the slow down and lock ups and I just don't want to deal with it then.

I would suggest trying it out on the show computer before then, and seeing whether the problem happens or not.

I'm considering going back to the .6 version on my show computer

When you say ".6", you mean "2.8.6", is that correct? As opposed to "2.6.something".

I don't think there was any change made in version 2.8.8 that should have affected playback speed in the Animator, relative to version 2.8.6. There was a change that affected the speed while you're drawing in the Animator (as opposed to playing the sequence with what you already have drawn), but not while playing the sequence. And that change should have been an improvement, anyway.

I'm sure there would be problems with that composing on .10 and playback on .6?

There shouldn't be. The save file layout did not change between versions 2.8.6 and 2.8.10.

Generally speaking, unless the Sequence Editor explicitly tells you something like "This sequence was created using a newer version of Light-O-Rama" when you open a sequence up, it won't have any problem with that sequence.

bob wrote:

Is it possible that the issue is that it's unsynchronized due to using a variable bit rate MP3?

Could you please send me (bob@lightorama.com) a copy of a sequence where you have this issue?
Ill send you a copy later tonight.

Perhaps try making sure that your computer is completely up to date with Windows Update, and making sure that you have the latest version of Windows Media Player installed, and disabling any unnecessary codecs and such.
The computer is up to date on everything (all software). I'm a bit of a fanatic when it comes to keeping them up to date.

I would suggest trying it out on the show computer before then, and seeing whether the problem happens or not.
~
I'm considering going back to the .6 version on my show computer

When you say ".6", you mean "2.8.6", is that correct? As opposed to "2.6.something".
Yes, 2.8.6

I don't think there was any change made in version 2.8.8 that should have affected playback speed in the Animator, relative to version 2.8.6. There was a change that affected the speed while you're drawing in the Animator (as opposed to playing the sequence with what you already have drawn), but not while playing the sequence. And that change should have been an improvement, anyway.

I'm sure there would be problems with that composing on .10 and playback on .6?

There shouldn't be. The save file layout did not change between versions 2.8.6 and 2.8.10.

Generally speaking, unless the Sequence Editor explicitly tells you something like "This sequence was created using a newer version of Light-O-Rama" when you open a sequence up, it won't have any problem with that sequence.

I have installed each of the upgrades as they have been released to keep up with everything on the show computer and on my design computer.

Look for my files to include the audio on Wed. Thanks.