Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence doesn't play full length

George Simmons

I thought I remembered seeing a thread on this topic but now I can't find it. I have a client who has just updated to 2.8.10 and has issues with some sequences stopping/ending before they reach the end. Can someone with a memory better than mine get me pointed in the right direction so I can help him out? Thanks.

From my experiences this year with songs not playing till the end has been because my buddy shortened the song with audacity and then sequenced and then added the wrong copy of the song.

What Walleyes says (or something similar) is definitely a possibility - if the sequence is longer than the song, play will end when the end of the song is reached.

If not that, is it for one particular sequence? All sequences? In either case, does it happen consistently? Once in a while? Once? Is this in the Sequence Editor? The Show Player? A hardware show controller such as the MP3 Director?

bob wrote:

What Walleyes says (or something similar) is definitely a possibility - if the sequence is longer than the song, play will end when the end of the song is reached.

If not that, is it for one particular sequence? All sequences? In either case, does it happen consistently? Once in a while? Once? Is this in the Sequence Editor? The Show Player? A hardware show controller such as the MP3 Director?

The songs and the sequences are the same length. The CBR MP3 files play properly in Media Player 10 on the client's pc. It is 5 sequences total, three (of 5) which were done in 2.8.* and two (of 14) which were done in 2.7.2 - 2.7.6. The older sequences played properly for the client in 2.7.? The problem occurs when the sequence(s) are played in the sequence editor. Unknown regarding Show Player. No controllers are assigned or specified at this time in the channel config file, nor have any been connected to date.

The client has uninstalled and reinstalled 2.8.10 which made no difference. I've played all sequences on my end in machines with 2.8.10 and also the older sequences on a machine with 2.7.2 and they work fine for me. I've saved and closed the older sequences after opening them in 2.8.10, and then re-opened them and they played fine for me. The client has had no problems playing any sequences before updating to 2.8.10.

Where do we go next?

Are you 100% sure that the song file referred to in the sequence file is the song file that you are checking the length of?

For example, it could be a different copy in a different directory.

In any case, could you please send me (bob@lightorama.com) an example sequence file, and the song file that comes with it? Thanks.

bob wrote:

Are you 100% sure that the song file referred to in the sequence file is the song file that you are checking the length of?

For example, it could be a different copy in a different directory.

In any case, could you please send me (bob@lightorama.com) an example sequence file, and the song file that comes with it? Thanks.

No, I'm not 100% sure since I didn't do the comparison myself. But the client has the sound files I sent him with the sequences and he reports the length of the files all match their respective sequences, and I have no reason to question his findings. I don't know where he stores his files but he's not real computer literate so I doubt he would have put them anywhere other than where I instructed him to put them. And that was in his defaqult lightorama directory. And even if any of them was copied to another directory, I can't envision anything he could have done to alter the music files.

When I get home this evening I'm going to resend him the files in question just to insure nothing happened to them in transit. (Although this doesn't even begin to address what could have happened to files he already has.) If that doesn't work I'll instruct him to send the files to your email address. Thanks.

The problem has been solved. It was apparently something that got mangled with Windows Media Player and the 2.8.10 installation. Weird... my client could play the songs through with no problem using WMP but when he loaded a sequence with the same song file LOR 2.8.10 would stop playing at some point in the song and he'd get an error message. We were working through some possibilities last night when he got a pop-up message that there was a new WMP update available. He updated to WMP 11 and now has no issues and all sequences work perfectly.