Light-O-Rama Forums

25' mega tree guy wires foundation placement

bwaldrep

I'm building a 25' tall mega tree this year. This will be our first mega tree. From the ground, to the top of the star will be about 27'.

I will be using 3 - 10' sections of black water pipe for the pole.which will slide into a sleeve I have built into the yard. (5 foot deep hole, but 2' wide, with cement, and re-bar (see attached photo's)

The bottom pipe will be 1.5" in diameter, and the other 2 will be 1.25" in diameter. I will place 4 guy wires at the top, and maybe 4 in the middle.

With all that said, here is my question, how far out should the guy wire go? I plan to dig holes, and poor concrete with a eye bolt in it, to secure the wires. So how far out do I need to do that, and how deep of a hole should I go?

Thanks!

Brent

Attached files 212206=11842-IMG_0746.jpg

Guest Don Gillespie

All depends on how high up the mega tree you are going to mount the guide wires usaully for every foot you go up so ten feet in hieght you should go out 6 inches so at ten feet in height you should be about five feet away from the tree however if you are experiancing high winds then you can increase your out # to 1 foot so at ten feet in hieght you would be ten feet out again this all depends how big your yard is and where your mega tree will sit in your yard I have seen on these forums some guys attach their guide wires to their house and their cars of course the decision is your you do not want the tree to fall down I am an overkill type of a guy when it comes to stuff like this

Guest wbottomley

I'm blown away by the foundation some mega-trees have, lol.

I have nothing cemented in the ground at all but they are 27 feet tall.

One 12X12 plate that sits on top of the ground with 4" bolts sticking in the dirt..

DSC00741.jpg

Three guy wires that hold it up straight...

DSC00740.jpg

And mobile home anchors attached to the guy wires that are screwed into the ground...

DSC00739.jpg

With this setup, only one failure in five years...

DSC01197.jpg

Agree with William here. I only have a sleave in the ground about 20" deep, 3 guys to stakes pounded in the ground about 1.5 feet.

I have no issues moving the tree from one spot to another this way. Things do change.

Guest wbottomley

Steven wrote:

Mountainwxman wrote:
With this setup, only one failure in five years...

What failed?  Was it the wire, a bolt, or the dirt?

Guy wire. One place had a kink in it that I didn't see.

bwaldrep wrote:

I'm building a 25' tall mega tree this year. This will be our first mega tree. From the ground, to the top of the star will be about 27'.

I will be using 3 - 10' sections of black water pipe for the pole.which will slide into a sleeve I have built into the yard. (5 foot deep hole, but 2' wide, with cement, and re-bar (see attached photo's)

The bottom pipe will be 1.5" in diameter, and the other 2 will be 1.25" in diameter. I will place 4 guy wires at the top, and maybe 4 in the middle.

With all that said, here is my question, how far out should the guy wire go? I plan to dig holes, and poor concrete with a eye bolt in it, to secure the wires. So how far out do I need to do that, and how deep of a hole should I go?

Thanks!

Brent

I have about the same height, but I only went in about 3 feet into the ground. I used a 2-1/2 inch PVC liner for the ground hole, a 2 inch Rigid Conduit fits snug in the hole. I use 3 main guide lines, but 2 of them are the ones I use to adjust the tree in one direction or the other. I went to trator supply and got some screw type anchors that are 3 feet long. I used a post hole digger and got the hole down about 2 feet, then screwed the anchor in the rest of the way. I then filled the rest of the hole with cement. Yes they might be there for good, but I know they will not come out.

Just remember, just because your hole in the ground might be straight and level, when you screw any type of pipe together there is a chance the thread might had been threaded on a little crooked. In 2 or 3 feet you might not notice it, but in 20 feet plus it will show. you will need to able to pull the top over one way or another to make it looks straight.