Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR1602W - 1-8 channels not working...

jonjon_dm

Please need urgent help… two months ago I ordered LOR1602W, and that time I don’t test it because we are busy moving to other city. Yesterday, I read the manuals and tried to test the unit. When I tried to plug the 1-8 channels the LED was not blinking then I tried to check the fuse and the fuse was OK. After that I unplug the power cord for 1-8 channels and I tried to plug the 9-16 channels and the LED was blinking. So what is the problem on channels 1-8?
Another problem, I plugged 9-16 channels and tried to connect to USB 485B BUT no port detected and when I installed the driver it say I’m using com port 19 but its error, I open LOR hardware and follow the instruction but still the LOR unit cannot detect. Please help me and guide me what to do I already got panic because I’m expecting to run the unit and to show to my wife but until now it’s nothing and I don’t like to spend money to shift back to USA the unit if I can still solve it by helping me by menas of LOR support. PLEASE HELP ME…
Im using Windows Vista 32-bit and cat5 50ft.

Thank you.
Jonjon
ize_mids@yahoo.com

jonjon_dm wrote:

Please need urgent help… two months ago I ordered LOR1602W, and that time I don’t test it because we are busy moving to other city. Yesterday, I read the manuals and tried to test the unit. When I tried to plug the 1-8 channels the LED was not blinking then I tried to check the fuse and the fuse was OK. After that I unplug the power cord for 1-8 channels and I tried to plug the 9-16 channels and the LED was blinking. So what is the problem on channels 1-8?
Another problem, I plugged 9-16 channels and tried to connect to USB 485B BUT no port detected and when I installed the driver it say I’m using com port 19 but its error, I open LOR hardware and follow the instruction but still the LOR unit cannot detect. Please help me and guide me what to do I already got panic because I’m expecting to run the unit and to show to my wife but until now it’s nothing and I don’t like to spend money to shift back to USA the unit if I can still solve it by helping me by menas of LOR support. PLEASE HELP ME…
Im using Windows Vista 32-bit and cat5 50ft.

Thank you.
Jonjon
ize_mids@yahoo.com

The "Brains" of the controller are powered by the 9-16 side. This is why the LED blinked when you plugged that side in. Plug both sides in at once, and you will have both sides powered at once.

As to the COM port issue, I'd take a shot in the dark guess that the drivers that come with the USB485B haven't gotten installed on your machine. Once that software is installed, the LOR Hardware program has no trouble (99% of the time) finding the attached (and powered on) LOR unit. Use that Auto-Configure button to set the COM port (again, with the USB485B connected to a powered on controller.)

sir thank you for the reply, but can I plug both power cords in my house can my breaker handle the 20 or 30amps? and regarding the driver for USB 485B, I installed it and it say successfully installed with com port 19. please any solution on that and I will try to plug in both power cords on power outlet and how would I know if 1-8 channels are OK??? again waiting your response and thank you.

jonjon

jonjon_dm wrote:

sir thank you for the reply, but can I plug both power cords in my house can my breaker handle the 20 or 30amps? and regarding the driver for USB 485B, I installed it and it say successfully installed with com port 19. please any solution on that and I will try to plug in both power cords on power outlet and how would I know if 1-8 channels are OK??? again waiting your response and thank you.

jonjon

With a single string of lights on each channel (to test with) you normally wouldn't worry about power limitations.

Go ahead and plug both cords into a socket. Connect the USB485 to your computer with the USB cable, and connect the controller to the USB485B with the CAT5. Start the Hardware Utility (only!) and click the "Auto Configure."

If the auto-configure can't find the correct COM port, someone else will need to jump in. I don't have LOR up and running on this PC, and I can't remember what to look for in the Device Manager right this second.

No sooner I say it, I remember.

Control Panel -> Device Manger -> USB Controllers -> USB Serial Converter

If that's not there, then the driver might not have been installed correctly (which would be odd, considering you got a message that it was successful.

ok you sir I will try all that you said here I hope my LOR unit is ok and not damage, I will update you regarding the unit again thank you so much. I will try to use other laptop may be running windows xp.

have a nice day sir.

jonjon

hello sir thank you for all information that you gave to me, my unit now is running ok. and sir it is possible that I will use power cord extension for power up the two power cord of LOR unit. please see the attached picture that I will use. because my unit is place outside my house.

thank you.

jonjon

Attached files 212092=11832-extension power cord.jpg

JonJon,

You need help from an electrician. I can see you have very little knowledge and you will either get electrocuted or burn down your new home. I am very worried about your health and your home at this time.

Tell me what is wrong with your plug and receptacle in the picture. And why this might not be the best thing to use outside? This is why I am worried, just looking at this picture, tells me that you are not familiar with electrical practices. Please do us both a favor and get an electrician to help you...

I would recomend a grounded 3-prong extension cord - If you are hevailly loading the controller with lots of lights (especially if they are incandescent, not LED) you should use 2 seperate cords "Heavy Duty" or 14awg, and most would recomend GFCI protection as well.

It doesnt appear you are in the US, but something similar to these:

http://www.toolbarn.com/colemancable-02832.html?ref=base

http://www.onestopbuy.com/leviton/66591-2C-2823.asp

http://www.electricalmarketplace.com/25-ft-143-Extension-Cord--P1919.aspx

Be carefull not to expose electrical connections to water or moisture.

I would wrapp a splice with electrical tape, and say it s ok. Max-Paul would crimp it, solder the crimp, cover that with liquid e-tape, heat shrink that, then place the junction inside a NEMA rated box filled with silicone. Finding a happy middle ground between the two is ok for most.

gizmomkr wrote:

I would wrapp a splice with electrical tape, and say it s ok. Max-Paul would crimp it, solder the crimp, cover that with liquid e-tape, heat shrink that, then place the junction inside a NEMA rated box filled with silicone. Finding a happy middle ground between the two is ok for most.

Close but not quit that much over kill. Actually most of my splices are where the stripped bare wire from the left is twisted around the right bare wire and the right bare wire is twisted around the left bare wire. Soldered well and then over each I will slip a piece of the heat shrink with resin. Once those are heat shrinked, I will slip over both wires another piece of heat shrink with resin. And thats it. Anal? Yes! but not to the degree you imagine.
But if you look at what JonJon has in the picture. Then you will see that he does not understand electrical protocol and can and will one day get himself bit. The only question is how hard. As they say, the proof is in the photo, that what I have said is true.

Max-Paul wrote:

. . . But if you look at what JonJon has in the picture. Then you will see that he does not understand electrical protocol and can and will one day get himself bit. The only question is how hard. As they say, the proof is in the photo, that what I have said is true. . .

I believe the voltage in the Philippines is 220v, so the possibility of serious injury is greater.

Regards,

Alan.

In the Philippines they have both 110 and 220 @60 hertz and use a variety of plug configurations INCLUDING both that he has pictured on his extension cord as well as 3 others.

Asking HIM what voltage and configuration is standard in his area, and then recommending a safe solution based on his answers makes terrific sense IMHO.

Ridiculing him and applying your limited knowledge of USA standards to other countries and configurations to base YOUR judgment of his abilities helps no one and makes YOU look... well you can guess. :?

jonjon,
IF you want to tell us what configuration plugs are standard in your area and what voltage most of your items in your home run on, myself or others here will be more than happy to give you some helpful suggestions to make certain everything is safe and reliable when using your new controller for the season.

Terry :)

Thank you to all and I will buy power cord extensions and I will send the picture here and I hope that power cord extensions will be ok. so I will buy two power cord extensions for two power plug for LOR unit and it should be 15amps capacity each.

we are using 220VAC - 60hz and with two pins flat plug only without ground. so in LOR unit power cord plug Im using adaptor from 3 pins to two pins plug, so it is ok to use an adaptop plug in LOR unit?

thank you.

You know if you took the time to analyze the photo you would be able to see several things. First lets look at the power cord. Does this look like it might have wires larger than 18 ga.? And I could be wrong, but does that not look like blue electric tape near the outlets? So, why any electric tape? Are those outlets mounted on a handy box and he does not have a cord grip so he taped the cord going into the handy box? Now lets talk about the outlets, does that look like a wall plate that is meant for indoor use? So, now we have a duplex outlet mounted in possibly a handy box with no cord grip on a lead that is way under rated when his concerns up to now have been about 15 or is it 30 amps of power. So, sue me! But I had concerns that this guy might fry himself or burn down his house. So, what do I do? I suggested that he consult a professional. And then you come and blast me for that? Who is the real jerk here? Terrry I believe I seen in another post that you are a HAM radio operator too. So, it appears that we both have some higher standards than the average Joe. Is it possible that you to suffer from the same things that you are suggesting that I do. We do have our call signs in common. KF0OX..

terrypowerz wrote:

Ridiculing him and applying your limited knowledge of USA standards to other countries and configurations to base YOUR judgment of his abilities helps no one and makes YOU look... well you can guess. :?

Terry :P
Putting a handy box and interior duplex outside is a common no-no no matter where in the world you are. Using an undersized wiring is a no-no no matter where in the world you are. So, if my assumption is correct for what I am seeing in the picture. Then do I really look you know? And then it would make you look well you can guess if I am right.

Thanks Terry for showing me / us your ....

Max-Paul wrote:

You know if you took the time to analyze the photo you would be able to see several things. First lets look at the power cord. Does this look like it might have wires larger than 18 ga.? And I could be wrong, but does that not look like blue electric tape near the outlets? So, why any electric tape? Are those outlets mounted on a handy box and he does not have a cord grip so he taped the cord going into the handy box? Now lets talk about the outlets, does that look like a wall plate that is meant for indoor use? So, now we have a duplex outlet mounted in possibly a handy box with no cord grip on a lead that is way under rated when his concerns up to now have been about 15 or is it 30 amps of power. So, sue me! But I had concerns that this guy might fry himself or burn down his house. So, what do I do? I suggested that he consult a professional. And then you come and blast me for that? Who is the real jerk here? Terrry I believe I seen in another post that you are a HAM radio operator too. So, it appears that we both have some higher standards than the average Joe. Is it possible that you to suffer from the same things that you are suggesting that I do. We do have our call signs in common. KF0OX..

terrypowerz wrote:

Terry :)
Putting a handy box and interior duplex outside is a common no-no no matter where in the world you are. Using an undersized wiring is a no-no no matter where in the world you are. So, if my assumption is correct for what I am seeing in the picture. Then do I really look you know? And then it would make you look well you can guess if I am right.

Thanks Terry for showing me / us your ....

Wow...

I am curious as to why you even thought I was referring to you Max? ;)

I do appreciate your compliments though! :)

For whatever it is worth, I am NOT a Ham operator currently, but I have done a lot of design work with RF equipment and USED to dabble when I got my license years ago... back in the days when they started out with W-----. I don't think this has a lot to do with the OP's questions though.

I DO work currently designing electrical equipment for use in over 50 countries, and I do not really think an electrician is needed to purchase the correct extension cords.

Jonjon posted he is gathering the information... when he posts that up I am sure SOMEONE here will offer him some friendly suggestions.