Light-O-Rama Forums

New Minium requirements

cenote

Has the minimum requirements changed in 2.8.10? Trying to install on another show machine, and now won't install. Errors out when program first starts. I get the "Program not installed correctly" error. Have tried three times, every time uninstalling LOR first.

Computer: Dell Inspiron 7500, XP 2002, but has new windows media player, 450 MHz, 160 MB

Last installed version on this machine was 2.5.6, worked fine.

No, the minimum requirements haven't changed.

I know you said that you get...

the "Program not installed correctly" error

... but could you please say what the error message says exactly, word for word? Thanks.

bob wrote:

No, the minimum requirements haven't changed.

I know you said that you get...

the "Program not installed correctly" error

... but could you please say what the error message says exactly, word for word? Thanks.

mmmmm...new error this time,

Error 1931:The windows Installer service cannot update the system file
C:Windowssystem32dx8vb.dll because the file is
protected by windows. You may need to update your
operating system for this program

That file (dx8vb.dll) is a standard Windows file. I don't know, but it sounds to me like something might be messed up about your Windows installation.

I would suggest closing all of your running programs, and using Windows Update to try to get your computer completely up to date.

Please note that Windows Update might not list all available updates - it only lists those that you can currently install. So, if there are two available updates, but the second depends upon the first, Windows Update will only show you the first.

So, whenever I use Windows Update, as soon as it's finished installing stuff (and after I've rebooted, if it told me to), the first thing I do is immediately run Windows Update again. I keep doing this over and over, until it finally tells me that there are no updates available.

cenote wrote:

Computer: Dell Inspiron 7500, XP 2002, but has new windows media player, 450 MHz, 160 MB

160MB ram? XP likes to have at least 512MB. I would look into getting some ram just to help the computer run more efficiently. Depending on the type of ram you need, it's cheap enough to justify the upgrade.

I am going to go out on a limb and bet it is 160MB hard drive. Ram numbers are usually given in a binary number format, such as: 1024, 2048 or 4096. It will always be a multible of one of the binary numbers.

BTW 160MB did they still have that small of a HD back in 2002? Can XP load on that small of a H.D.?

It still could be ram at 160MB. A 128MB and a 32MB stick. With a 450Mhz processor this is very possible. This computer has to be mid '90's vintage.

scubado wrote:

It still could be ram at 160MB. A 128MB and a 32MB stick. With a 450Mhz processor this is very possible. This computer has to be mid '90's vintage.

I am going to have to agree, as my old(now deceased) machine was a PII 450 and had a max capacity of 512MB

scubado wrote:

OMG, boy I sure have forgotten all of that older and smaller sizes so it appears. You are correct and I forgot to the the smaller stuff math. Shoot I suppose I could put a GE115 jet engine in a little piper cub. Who would put XP in such an old box and expect it to work right? Oy-vey!!!

Max-Paul wrote:

Who would put XP in such an old box and expect it to work right? Oy-vey!!!

I would.....:) Ran show perfect for three years!