Light-O-Rama Forums

Windows XP Rights.. any suggestions?

Guest guest

Hello everyone, I recently upgraded my system to a newer technology system. I still have all of my old file system intact and have inserted the drive as "Slave" in the system. I have now been trying for quite some time now to get all of the old files off this drive onto the one now running my newer system. Anytime I try to do this most of the files say something about access rights or unable to copy. I have never had a problem in the past with this.. does anyone know the cause or possible solutions so i can get my MP3 version of my songs back and my 2006 sequences? Thanks in advance for any/all help and suggestions.

At first glance, my gut feeling is that you may not be logged in with "computer administrator" full admin rights on the new PC. Maybe instead your User ID is tagged with "limited" rights?

To research this and hopefully fix it, go to the Start Menu, Control Panel, User Accounts, pick account to change, change my account type, select computer administrator....

Does that help?

Randy

I am set as the administrator/ main user.. I have been since i installed windows. So I don't think this is the problem. I can access the files fine with the ones that it allows me to copy to the drive.. It's just some it don't for some reason and It won't let me delete some of the files either. I have varified it and it says Computer administrator for my account. I have tried to the the file attributes as well.. maybe i should try it in ms-dos?

Maybe you should of posted this in Dasher's Diner, Anyway. It might be file acess rights on the system you copy from, are you copying over an ethernet connnection? if so on the pc you are copying from, all the files you would like to copy, put them into a shared folder, then right click, go to the share tab, then select the check box that says "Allow users to change my files" that should sort you out.

I suspect you are trying to move the files (as opposed to copying them), and that the error happens when the OS tries to delete the file from the old location. Some files in XP cannot be deleted while the OS is running. If all you are trying to do is get the files from one drive to another, be sure you are doing a copy and not a move. You can always clean up the old drive later with a format.

Dave

What operating system was the old machine and what operating system is the new machine? Also, where are the files located? I'm assuming it's in program files on your slave drive.

Check the file permissions on the slave drive. That should give you a clue as to what permissions you are missing. If you can just give yourself permission to those files, it should work fine. Sounds like the "how to take ownership of a drive" article may do the trick.

I gained access to the files.. It's a hard process to explain but I managed to get it done.. now I can spend some time sequencing tommarow and testing out a "mini" setup to see how it goes. Thanks for all the help and suggestions with this problem I had.