Light-O-Rama Forums

ims files

sthobe

sthobe wrote:

i just download them they are already setup and they are ims files just about everyone on lor free downpage are ims files

Then there must be something wrong with the website. Because, with all due respect, the proper extension is LMS (not ims).

Once you have changed the extension to LMS, you can place the sequence file in your Light-O-Rama sequences directory. Then you can open the sequence editor, and open the file.

(The directory, by default, is located within your "My Documents" directory (most of the time.))

sthobe wrote:

there are ims files and the odds are these are them.every download on the light a rama download page are ims files

I would suggest placing the file in your LOR Sequences directory (see previous post) and using the sequence editor to open them up.

Again, with all due respect to someone who is getting started, the proper extension is "LMS" not ims. If you have them saved on your machine with an ims extension, they will simply not work in the sequence editor.

With most Windows based operating systems, you can also double click on the file, and it will open in the Sequence Editor. If the proper association hasn't been made in your systems registry, it might tell you it can't open the program, and give you a chance to choose what program to use to open the file. Select the Sequence Editor.

As has been mention already, LOR does not have a file with an ims extension. You may very well be seeing files with an ims extension but they would not be LOR sequene files or incorrectly named LOR sequence files.

If you have one of those files, place it in a zip folder and attach it to a post so we can take a look at it.

Dan

sthobe wrote:

ive downloaded a couple of the free sequences and am having trouble getting them to open what is the secret? they are ims files if that makes a difference

My guess is its football Sunday and maybe....just maybe you had one too many coldies along the way?? ;)

Now that the suns up, see if it still says .ims or .lms ..... :dude:

Max-Paul wrote:

sthobe,

all I can say without getting in trouble is WOW, just WOW. I see you have made an impression with all in a short time.

Ha Ha Ha Smack down. Way to go Max-Paul. This is a good place to be humble when ur a newbie. I learned that the hard way myself.

And, by the way, can you say punctuation?

jim6918 wrote:

Max-Paul wrote:
sthobe,

all I can say without getting in trouble is WOW, just WOW. I see you have made an impression with all in a short time.

Ha Ha Ha Smack down. Way to go Max-Paul. This is a good place to be humble when ur a newbie. I learned that the hard way myself.

Okay... Okay... Okay... Please lets try and help. Obviously the guy thinks he has ims files. People that are experienced know that there isn't an ims file extension associated with LOR.

But what we can/should do is talk the guy through it. It doesn't matter if he insists that it is an ims file we just talk through it or give up and stay out of it! It is pretty easy to mix up lms and ims. When someone is telling you it is LMS and you are looking at something that you read as ims it get frustrating! I can understand the frustration because I am somewhat dyslexic (or something like that) and sometimes I have to dial a phone number up to 5 or 6 times and I keep making the same blasted mistake over and over. I can say a number in the right order but when I write it or type it in I get it backwards and have little control over it.

Please lets just help people and no need to jump on them, it serves no purpose.

Thanks
Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

jim6918 wrote:
Max-Paul wrote:
sthobe,

Okay... Okay... Okay... Please lets try and help. Obviously the guy thinks he has ims files. People that are experienced know that there isn't an ims file extension associated with LOR.

But what we can/should do is talk the guy through it. It doesn't matter if he insists that it is an ims file we just talk through it or give up and stay out of it! It is pretty easy to mix up lms and ims. When someone is telling you it is LMS and you are looking at something that you read as ims it get frustrating! I can understand the frustration because I am somewhat dyslexic (or something like that) and sometimes I have to dial a phone number up to 5 or 6 times and I keep making the same blasted mistake over and over. I can say a number in the right order but when I write it or type it in I get it backwards and have little control over it.

Thanks
Dan

OK, smacked myself and with justification. My apologies; guess it's just Monday twice over at work. I shouldnt have jumped on the bang wagon.

I had the same problem. The extension is one thing, but I believe I was trying to open a LOR S1 file in the S2 and couldn't be read for some reason. Also, check the file properties, it might say .VIX or something else in which those are vixen files and still gives you this same problem.

sthobe wrote:

wow tough crowd

Don't let them get to you, sometimes they just go off on thier own little tangents.

But about your problem, if they are indeed LOR files then they should have the .lms extension. If you have downloaded those .ims files try changing the extension to .lms and then try to open it with LOR. And as Dan suggested Zip the file up and post it so we can take a look at it, or provide the link where you downloaded it from.

Don't let this one thread steer you from these forums because if there is any questions or directions you need for LOR or even just decorating in general this is the place to go.

Good Luck.

yeah i figured it out and they were right had to use the sequence editor to open them up, they were all there..........thank you all for your help .but just give us newbies some slack this is hard enough already it does not help being made fun of.I bet you had questions when you all first started and probably didn't anyone to help. I feel blessed to have help and knowledge that you all contribute but do it with a smile.Isn't that what christmas is all about.GOD BLESS

LightORamaDan wrote:

Thanks
Dan

WOW Dan, we actually have something in common there my firend, I, too, have a mild dyslexic problem and it can be quite frustrating when even reading the forums, but it really shows a lot of times when replying to a post. Sometimes I have to go back and re-read and re-look and edit my posts several times to get it almost right, sometimes no matter how many times I re-look at it, I still have something incorrect. And then being legally blind in one eye, although have very limited sight in it, makes it even more compounding with that issue!

Now I made that same mistake myself when I first started downloading sequences myself, but I managed to figure it out in short order by looking through some of the LOR posts and materials that came with my LOR products! It's an easy thing to do and it can be quite frustrating to the new LOR user, I speak from experience!

It's sad when we forget we were ALL once where this poor guy is now, just trying to learn and make something work the first time through. So I agree, help, not hinder their progress.

The LOR family is a great group of folks and by being condescending to a new user, well that does not do, or put any of us here in a pleasant environment for someone needing help. Instead it may push them away and end up losing what would have been a very valuable resource to them and even new friends.

Remember, it's that FIRST IMPRESSION "YOU" MAKE that is remembered and counts!