Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16 Wierdness

Guest guest

Finally got all 3 of my controllers mounted in cases and connected to pigtails today. I connected 48 nightlights to them (the Dollar Store loves me!).

Weird thing is that one of the controllers has 3 flaky channels on it. Using the hardware utility, all channels work fin when doing a chase sequence. But if you just turn on all channels, these 3 channels (10, 11, & 16) will not turn on. If I lower the intensity, eventually #16 will turn on, but the other two don't. If I do a 'Fade On', the 3 flaky channels will fade up to a point, then turn off.

I know it is not the night lights, as I have swapped them with other channels and the problems on these particular channels. The other two controllers are fine as well.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance,

Dave

Good guess, but these lights are always on (a feature I purposely sought).

I have done a little more investigation on this. The output leg of the opto on each bad channel reads 30VAC when all channels are on. The working channels read around 21VAC.

I switched an opto-isolator on a bad channel for one on a good channel and the problem has followed the opto-isolator to the previously good channel. So I need to call LOR on Monday and get 3 optos I guess. It is kinda strange that I built 48 channels at once, and all of the bad optos are on one of the three boards. Also, if these things are prone to failure, should they be in a socket instead of soldered to the board?

Dave