Light-O-Rama Forums

REMINDER - SAVE YOUR WORK while your working on it

Guest guest

I haven't seen this topic in a while so I thought I would send out the reminder.

SAVE YOUR WORK (while your working) AND HAVE IT BACK-UP or copied to another source like a thumb drive, CD or what ever. If your computer crashes, it's allllll gone.

Now get back to sequencing :].

Tom

One other tip, save them in more than one extra backup location, each time you finish editing for the day, and back them up with useful date/time names so you can easiily roll back if you find you dont like what you did/deleted.

pixeldigger wrote:

I'm actually using mine on a CVS Repository!:dude:

Serves as a backup, a universal library, AND I can revert any changes.

Source Control is da bomb! Until recently we used CVS at work, and finally outgrew it and moved to Perforce. For most folks, Subversion is the best choice right now (it's free, and very powerful), but the size of our project at work burried Subversion into abysmally-slow performance...

Unfortunately, getting started with any of these systems (an in particular, setup and administration) is a bit of a stretch for a non-techie... Which is too bad, because they're very, very powerful... Most systems assume you want to use the command line, and their GUI tools are very much secondary-- this makes it hard for most laypeople, who almost never use a command line, to get involved...

EDIT: Actually Perforce is free for a single developer as well, so it's another option for those just wanting to backup their sequences and be able to revert... For multiple developers, Perforce is really expensive (something like $1000 per developer per year...)

-Tim

Yes , CVS is a bit hard to get initially, but I just keep discovering new things.

I am now using WinCVS GUI, and checkouts by date are simple.

Best part is, the files are on the CVS server, and also in my sandbox, and the server is backed up regularly as well.
I may check into these you mentioned as well.

pixeldigger wrote:

Yes , CVS is a bit hard to get initially, but I just keep discovering new things.

I am now using WinCVS GUI, and checkouts by date are simple.

Best part is, the files are on the CVS server, and also in my sandbox, and the server is backed up regularly as well.
I may check into these you mentioned as well.

WinCVS is pretty nice as a GUI client. And CVS should meet your needs if you're mainly using it as a tool for checking in sequences by yourself. Where Subversion and Perforce become much nicer is when you have a workgroup of multiple developers, and a number of different projects going on at a given time (e.g. My Product 2008 development going on at the same time as bug fixes for My Product 2007, as well as My Product Lite 2007, etc...)

-Tim

Good reminder!!!!

I think I will have my daughter draw me a cool background for my desktop using Photoshop that says Back-it-up (She is really good with that kind of stuff).

Just a reminder that every hard drive will crash.

Bill

gremler wrote:

Good reminder!!!!

I think I will have my daughter draw me a cool background for my desktop using Photoshop that says Back-it-up (She is really good with that kind of stuff).

Just a reminder that every hard drive will crash.

Bill

That's a good idea Bill, I might have to get a copy of that. :]