Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR on Google Maps

morrisonstreet

Hey guys, I just created a map on Google Maps for LOR users. I thought it could be fun (for those that want to) to list our locations around the world. You can also attach photos or links to YouTube. If you click on my marker a window pops up with one of my YouTube videos.

Just thought it would be nice to see where others are, and for those that like to bring visitors to their light shows.

Hopefully this link will work:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=109572146798585152214.00048f864c1031acc3c39

Eric
Valley Village, CA

Hey Eric I liked your video. There are a number of these maps but sometimes they are hard to find or maintain. Does someone have a list of all the maps.

Here is one for St Louis area displays.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=111485230317713815599.0004604f9a6cacb8d6696&z=10

Thanks!

I did a search on Google Maps to see if there were any other LOR specific maps and nothing came up, so I just made one. I thought it might be nice to have one that was specific to us users as opposed to all people who decorate.

Eric,

When I click on your link I just get a blank default map of the U.S with no indication that it is a LOR map or any other title. When I click on Bob's link I get the ST Louis map he mentions.

Any idea why?

huskernut wrote:

Eric,

When I click on your link I just get a blank default map of the U.S with no indication that it is a LOR map or any other title. When I click on Bob's link I get the ST Louis map he mentions.

Any idea why?
Hmmm...no, not sure. Try this link:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=109572146798585152214.00048f864c1031acc3c39&z=19

Yup that 2nd link works.

How are you planning to add peoples addresses to this map?

It is public ( which I assume just means everyone can see it?) but I dont see an edit button to add information to it ( or is it just me, it usually is just me )

Thanks

Rick

huskernut wrote:

Yup that 2nd link works.

How are you planning to add peoples addresses to this map?

It is public ( which I assume just means everyone can see it?) but I dont see an edit button to add information to it ( or is it just me, it usually is just me )

Thanks

Rick
Yeah, it should be public. If you click on "edit" you can add a marker to your address. Then click on html and you can add a YouTube link if you have a video.

I'm new at google maps, forgive me if that's not what you see. That's how it worked at my end.

When I click on your link, I do not find a means of adding or editing the links, just see a map with a single marker.

In Australia, we set up a map in a similar fashion, but it requires a username and password to log on and add a marker. see the result at:- http://communitywalk.com/map/14123

I have added a copy of the setup procedure below but blanked the username and password.

Regards Geoff

==========================================================

The setup procedure is:-

Aussie / NZ Christmas Lights Map:
We have an interactive map which displays Christmas Houses in Australia and New Zealand. This can be seen at http://communitywalk.com/map/14123/

The Red balloons are for Computerised Christmas Houses, the Green balloons are for Christmas Shops / Businesses and White balloons are for static displays.

The map can also assist new members to find others interested in computerised Christmas lighting in their local area.

If you want to add your site to the map:

• Login to www.communitywalk.com
  • Username: *************
  • Password: *************
  • Once logged in...
  • Click on "Edit Map" (please don't change any of the other map settings)
  • Click on "Build This Map"
  • Zoom in to your location
  • Click on "Add Marker".
  • You can enter Lat / Long information for your location, or click on the map where you want the marker (I couldn't get the street address entry to work).
  • A window will open for you to enter all of your relevant details and after you press the "Save" button it will be added to the map...
  • Please don't press the "Save Default View" button.

You can link the map into a web site, or Blog, with a range of different options, zoom settings, level of detail, advertisements displayed, etc. There are a couple of examples running at:

I really like the idea of LOR users being able to put their mark on the map. However I think it will get lost in all of the messages unless it is moved to its own Forum under "The Midway Zone" and its locked. With this done it would work out just great.

Jeremy

Ah yes, I guess I just assumed people would know they'd have to have a google account before they could add themselves...I should have mentioned that...sorry.

If someone could could add themselves to make sure it works, I have no problem with locking this topic with some easy instructions.

I think you may need to click the "Collaboration" link (when you pull up My Maps, to the left of the Edit button, you should see the Collaboration link).

In there, set collaborators to "Allow anyone to update this map".

amcdonald307 wrote:

I think you may need to click the "Collaboration" link (when you pull up My Maps, to the left of the Edit button, you should see the Collaboration link).

In there, set collaborators to "Allow anyone to update this map".
Ah thanks....did that. Hope you can get in now.

brownjm74 wrote:

I really like the idea of LOR users being able to put their mark on the map. However I think it will get lost in all of the messages unless it is moved to its own Forum under "The Midway Zone" and its locked. With this done it would work out just great.

Jeremy

Dan or whoever, is this something that can be done?

Hmmm, I got the page, the list of all LOR users that have entered locations, but the map window is blank, no map in any mode (map, satellite or Earth).. I installed the GEarth 3D plugin but still nothing.. If I type in my address, I get the normal map, but nothing LOR related..

Um, uh.. after typing in my addy, I zoomed out, and saw markers for the other LOR users, so... never mind..

Grrrrr!!! Ok, not sure whats going on now.. I clicked on the link above (again) and still get the blank (light blue) screen, no maps, nothing, but my address is at the bottom of the LOR list, so one thing fixed (I'm added), now if I can just get it to show me a real map..

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Hmmm, I got the page, the list of all LOR users that have entered locations, but the map window is blank, no map in any mode (map, satellite or Earth).. I installed the GEarth 3D plugin but still nothing.. If I type in my address, I get the normal map, but nothing LOR related..

Um, uh.. after typing in my addy, I zoomed out, and saw markers for the other LOR users, so... never mind..

How do I add my address to the list?
Try clicking on one of the links on the left for each individual person.

Glad to see so many have listed themselves!

Still light blue map... hmmm, water is light blue... Didnt zoom out enough.. map is there, just of the Pacific.. DOH!! I zoomed -all- the way out and now I see the continents.. just re-centered it over Witchita so now I see each coast.

Anyone know how do I edit the location to put in my title and description?

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Still light blue map... hmmm, water is light blue... Didnt zoom out enough.. map is there, just of the Pacific.. DOH!! I zoomed -all- the way out and now I see the continents.. just re-centered it over Witchita so now I see each coast.

Anyone know how do I edit the location to put in my title and description?
You need to have a google account first.

Then, click on the "edit" button on the left above all the user's links. On the map, some icons will appear at the top including a blue bubble. Click on the bubble and drop it at your location. Label it and if you want to add a YouTube link, click on HTML and add that in as well.

Yep, I was in my account, but didnt see how to edit it, followed the Edit button, I had to click on my entry then I was able to edit the info, thanks.

TJ

toddmoon wrote:

LOR does have a location map system of members. You go to the page and click on the state that you want to see. If the member has not specified their location then they will not show up or will have limited information.

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_user.php?region=California&country=USA

Well shoot, I didn't know that! It doesn't seem, though, to show the actual locations of people's displays, only the cities?