Light-O-Rama Forums

Cutting andf Pasteing in 2.8.8

Roger

Roger wrote:

What is the best way to copy info from a 32 channel file to a 64 channel file? Cut and paste seems to not work for 32 channels at once and not even 7 channels at once? Any suggestions?

Why not add 32 channels to your existing configuration then save it as a new file name...like "64 Channels"?

Here's the way I find the easiest:

1. Add the new 32 channels to the bottom of the sequence (or import your new 64-channel configuration file).
  2. Press Home twice, moving to the start of the first channel.
  3. Hold Shift down, and press End, selecting the entire first channel.
  4. Scroll down so the 32nd channel is on the screen.
  5. Hold Shift down, and move the mouse to the last cell of the 32nd channel.
  6. Type Ctrl-C.
  7. Press Home, to move to the start of the 32nd channel, then Down, to move to the start of the 33rd channel.
  8. Type Ctrl-V.

While doing this, make sure the active clipboard is not locked, a trap you can fall into if you are using that new feature.

I challenge anyone to find a method that takes less keystrokes and mouse movements.

jimswinder wrote:

Roger wrote:
What is the best way to copy info from a 32 channel file to a 64 channel file? Cut and paste seems to not work for 32 channels at once and not even 7 channels at once? Any suggestions?

Why not add 32 channels to your existing configuration then save it as a new file name...like "64 Channels"?

I agree with Jim, If you want to keep the same file name you can always rename the old file before you start(IE. Santa's got a hot rod old.lms can then be saved as Santa's got a hot rod.lms)

kzaas wrote:

... Santa's got a hot rod...

I think the only one who knows this for sure is Mrs. Claus and I hope she's enough of a lady to keep it to herself.

George Simmons wrote:

kzaas wrote:
... Santa's got a hot rod...

I think the only one who knows this for sure is Mrs. Claus and I hope she's enough of a lady to keep it to herself.

I can see her sitting around with the female elves exchanging "hot rod" stories over a cup of hot chocolate!!!

1511082.GIF

There are a couple of easy ways: Right-click on the name of your last channel, go to INSERT CHANNELS > INSERT MULTIPLE CHANNELS BELOW. Or you can go to TOOLS > CHANNEL PROPERTY GRID and then click the ADD CHANNELS button at the bottom.

I'm using cut and paste but I'm finding out that My Vista computer won't do it as it should and my XP Pro seems to cut and paste just fine. I highlighted the channels I wanted to copy form the old file and paste them to the new file. I'm not sure why the newer machine won't work. It has a Quad Core processor with 3GB of memory so it should hold several channels worth of sequence in the clipboard for a 4 minute Song I would think. Kinda strange.

Thanks for the suggestions on how to add channels to my sequences...I have not been able to find how to do that so will try the several suggestions. Obviously i'm expanding my light show for this year and want to hang onto what I've already done and add to it.I'm also moving several of my chanels to a different controller for programming ease as I have a set of trees that will take 22 channels and want them to be together even though they are on different controllers. Am I crazy or what?

Roger wrote:

Great...I used your method and it worked slick. THanks for the Tip!!!

Hi Roger, There were a few methods mentioned here, and at one point you say you were trying different things and they weren't helping, now you found the secret. I already now how to add channels to sequences but for the sake of future "Newbys" could you post which method it was that worked for you.

Thanks.

Sure...

I used the following:Right-click on the name of your last channel, go to INSERT CHANNELS > INSERT MULTIPLE CHANNELS BELOW. Or you can go to TOOLS > CHANNEL PROPERTY GRID and then click the ADD CHANNELS button at the bottom.

previously I was creating a new 64 channel sequence then cutting and pasting the channels from last years 32 channel sequence to the new file. I could not get that to work with my computer with a Vista operating system on ver 2.8.8 or 2.8.10 . It would work on the Windows XP computer however.

• 1 month later...

When you import, is there a way to control where the channels insert?

It seem to always add them to to the top of the sequence for me.

L