Light-O-Rama Forums

Software installing 30 times

kavsher

Hi i'm having a crazy problem .

Every time I open any function like Seq editor the widows install runs about 30 times before the utility opens.

This happens on all utilities?

Any ideas ?

I used the microsoft cleanup utility that didnt work .

I used an older ver. same prob.

I used LOR 1 and it works great

see pic of install box

Thanks

Butch

Attached files 210637=11750-untitled.JPG

Just a crazy question on the picture, are you opening that folder on the desktop to start LOR? If you are, then you are possibly running the install utility. Go to the start menu, programs, LightoRama, and then whatever item you want to open. Sorry, just had to ask,

Bill

Man...talk about using up your licenses!!!

(Yeah, that wasn't very helpful...maybe i should've just kept quiet) ;)

It's a semi-common problem...do a search and you'll see a list of things to check. Use of the LOR cleanup utility (available on the download pages) and making sure you uninstall all old software is key.

I had the situation on one of my machines, and it was related to some issues with some usb/serial port emulation I was doing. Removing all of those ports/drivers and reinstalling cleared it for me.

You'll also want to ensure you have the latest version of WMP installed.

I found solving this one to be a step by step elimination kind of troublshooting, since there are a multitude of possible causes.

Almost sounds like some sort of trojan horse virus or something.

Too bad you had to resort to a reinstall, glad it is working now.

kavsher wrote:

Ok MSCU did not work . Restore to a previous point didnt work either.

Since I was using this laptop for LOR only

I did a clean install of XP

and now it works :)

I was close to that point, but the machine causing me issues had way too many other things on it to want to me to resort to a complete reformat and reinstall.

I drove Bob crazy with this one, trying various things, and as mentioned, on a whim, got thinking about where LOR may encounter a conflict it can't overcome, and com port situations is where I landed, and voila...solved. Interestingly, once LOR was installed, and I reinstalled the required other drivers I really needed, everyone got along fine.

After dealing with it, and reading a bazillion posts regarding the issue, I've become reasonably convinced it typically isn't viral (though, not saying never...), and is typically some sort of OS/config conflict that LOR can't work around.