Light-O-Rama Forums

Best practices

Scott T

We need to build a thread or depository for "Best Practices"

The software is getting more sophisticated, tools more complete and creativity is larger than ever. I wish we could come up with some type of best practices for tackling programming.

I feel like I do some things the hard way and then with countless hours reading through this forum, I will find a nugget or two about better ways to program.

If we could have a group called "Best Practices", we could start documenting some of the creative and efficient ways to create great shows.

Thoughts?

Scott T wrote:

The software is getting more sophisticated, tools more complete and creativity is larger than ever. I wish we could come up with some type of best practices for tackling programming.

I feel like I do some things the hard way and then with countless hours reading through this forum, I will find a nugget or two about better ways to program.

If we could have a group called "Best Practices", we could start documenting some of the creative and efficient ways to create great shows.

Thoughts?

I could see this being a whole new section..one for hardware (specifically controllers), one for software, maybe other ancillary topics like power and other critical topics related to controllers.

There are already all kinds of "best practice" nuggets spread across the forum, the challenge is rooting them out, and that drives a lot of the repeat questions. More than once I've done multiple searches on a topic, got 50% of what I needed, and still needed to ask a related question.

Whomever would moderate a section like this would need to really crack the whip to keep everyone sharply focused on the chosen topic and the sections organized.

One thought would be some of the fourm gurus pick a topic or two and start a thread, share their expertise, and then answer questions from the group...

Scott T wrote:

Wouldn't the S2 tutorial videos fit in here? oh yeah, it's still under construction ;-) Any ETA on those tutorials?

Perhaps user submitted videos could help with these nuggets.