Light-O-Rama Forums

12v supply for CMB-16D

Steven

I'm using 6 Rainbow Floods this year, and needed a power supply for the DC card. So I found this Chinese 75W laptop power supply at Fry's Electronics:
75w.jpg

Advantages:

• Small size fits into my enclosure (shown below);
  • It's efficient, so it runs cool
Disadvantages:
  • Not quite powerful enough to light all 6 Rainbow Floods at 100% (but does fine at 80%);
  • More expensive than a cheap PC power supply.

Here's a picture of the CMB-16D and the power supply installed in a weather-proof Chinese cracker box. The lid fits tightly and I glued 1-inch legs and drilled drainage holes, just in case.

Attached files 210585=11748-cmb-16d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Steven, Nice setup. I noticed you have four leads going to the board, I'm guessing you split the pair and spliced in the two pair then heat shrunk?

This is good information to know for the rainbow floods. I have some 90W HP adapters at work that would fit this design, but they are about twice the size.

Good information, Thanks,

RickWIlliams wrote:

I'm guessing you split the pair and spliced in the two pair then heat shrunk?

That is correct. The power supply had a socket on the end of the cord and included several adapters for various styles of laptop power connectors, so I just cut that off and found a 2-conductor cable, which I spliced and covered.

I was thinking that I could squeeze a little more power from this supply by removing the 5-volt regulator on the DC board and powering its logic directly from the USB socket in the power supply, but that seems like more trouble than it is worth.

Looks good Steven!! I can't wait to see how everyone uses their Floods and Spots and Blizzard tubes this year. Very exciting to a nut like me! :(

What is the USB port for on the power supply?

Ponddude wrote:

What is the USB port for on the power supply?

It's 5-volt USB power. In this power supply's intended use, the cord powers the laptop, and the USB port charges a mobile phone. (Most mobile phones sold today are charged with a 5-volt USB port.)

The assumption is that you are using this power supply on the road, and your laptop has a limited number of USB ports, which are being used for things like a mouse.