Light-O-Rama Forums

Magnificent FM antenna!

George Simmons

I'm right this minute experiencing a successful test of a new FM antenna. Ahhhh, it feels almost... almost... well you know... yeah, it's almost that good.

It's a Ramsey TM100 that I got from Hobbytron.com, connected to a EDM LCD model transmitter. The antenna was a kit but if I can do it, anyone else with a soldering iron and ohm meter can do it also. (And I had to go buy the ohm meter.)

Wow! When they say a "professional quality" antenna they're not screwin' around. The signal strength is at max on all my various sound systems and it's kick-butt in the car everywhere you can see as much as a glow from the lights. And that's with the transmitter turned almost down to minimum power! Humpa, humpa... bring on Thanksgiving!

I can't answer your question and may never be able to. I live in a river valley and with the antenna sitting beside the house where I've been testing it the signal reaches as far as I can see, which is between two and eight blocks, depending on direction. When I receive my Monoprice order and get the coax cable I need, I'll mount the antenna in its permanent location at the second story level at the front corner of the house. Then, I'll check out the range again and report back if there's anything to report. But I can say with 100% certainty that it exceeds my needs as is, so it can only get better when it's mounted higher and in line-of-sight with the street.

But what impresses me more than the range is the signal quality. I thought the sound was pretty good the last couple of years just using my homemade tv rabbit ear broadcast antenna. "Pretty good" may have been accurate compared to nothing, but compared to the TM100 it's an insult.