Light-O-Rama Forums

LMS File Icon Issue

nmonkman

Am I losing it or did previous versions have the little LOR icon on the .LMS file and the .BAK file was blank?

I kept sending incomplete files out to customers and could not figure out why I was attaching the wrong file. Then I finally realized that the backup file has the icon now.

Am I mistaken?

If not, was this change intentional?

I dont know if you can see it in the attach picture, but I will send it to anyone that wants it.

Thanks

Attached files 210332=11740-screen3.jpg

So just a thought, when you double click one of the .LMS files does it open in the sequence editor? Or if you right click on one of the .LMS files and choose properties what does it say it "opens with" ?

Rick

.LMS File

Left click - opens with sequence editor

Right Click - gives only the "open" option

.BAK File

Left click - Sequence editor opens with "Unknown File Extension" error

Righ click - gives the "open with" option

So it appears both files are functioning correctly. It is just a matter of which one has the icon.

I use XP, so I'm not sure this will help you.

open My Computer, under tools choose folder options, then file types. There is a good chance that bak and lms files are not listed, if that's the case then new and add them.

Select the file type then advanced, it gives you the option to change the icon associated with it. I have no idea where the LOR icon is located, but if you can find that location you can assign it to the lms files, and whatever icon you would like to the bak files.

good luck

Bruce

I email alot of my sequences.I just save a copy to the desktop from the sequence editor. It saves the LMS.I then just delete it from my desktop.

They are both listed under file types.

You have to go to control panel and click on indexing options then advanced to get to this feature in Windows 7

If I knew where the icon files were I could make the change easy. I did a search of the whole c drive with hidden files and folders for icon file, but nothing came up.

I don't know if it is a .jpeg, .png, bitmap or some other image file

I had the same problem and this worked for me.

Windows XP:
Start
My Computer
Tools (top just under the blue bar)
Folder Options
File Types
Look for "bak"
Click Restore (if it is there)
Click Delete.

Windows 7
Start
My Computer
Locate the file
Right click
Properties
Change (change it to note pad)

Linda

That worked as far as showing the icon, but there are two issue with it.

1. It now lists the file as a "notepad" type and not an .lms type

2. It does nothing for the .bak file.

I changed it back because I dont want to take a chance later on with the program not recognizing file types.

I will muddle through this, it was just easier before.

Perhaps I can just change the properties to make the .bak a hidden file. It will always be there, it just wont show up when I go to attach the file.

Knowing the support team at LOR, if this becomes an issue, they will fix it straight away.

I probably should not have called this an issue as it is more of a minor inconvenience.

Thanks for the help

Do you have your file extensions hidden? If they are hidden and you're sending the wrong file, you have to unhide the file extension.. they should be for anti-virus security anyway, so you click and send the correct (.lms, not .bak) file.

No one should ever, ever, EVER have file extensions hidden. computers are infected every day because the real extension is masked and people think they are clicking on emails or safe programs, or pictures or videos..

If you want to hide the .bak extension file, keep in mind that .bak is used by other programs, not just LOR.

Yes, I have file extensions hidden. The file extension has nothing to do with my situation though. This is an icon "inconvenience";)

Thanks though,

Well, if you're clicking on a file to send as an attachment, based soley on seeing that icon, and you're sending the wrong file based on having the extensions hidden, it is a big factor. Good luck tho.

It is ONLY an issue if you have your display option set to "list". I have mine set to details so I don't need to show the extension.

The dialog box shows the file type. See below.

Attached files 210476=11746-screen 4.jpg

As far as I can tell there is no .ico file for the LOR icon, it is part of the .exe file.

On my Vista install none of the .lms or .las files had the LOR icon, just the generic plain paper icon. So after looking at the registry entries for the file types and not seeing anything wrong, I right clicked the .lms file and choose:

Properties

Opens With: clicked Change

clicked Browse

browsed to the location of LORSequenceEditor.exe

on the open windows clicked Open, Okay, Apply, Okay

the icons appeared for the .lms repeated for the .las, now both have the LOR icon. Not sure why the icons didn't work after the install but that seems to fix the problem.