Light-O-Rama Forums

Christmas in Summer

ryebred

Once I got my lights and my controllers all built, I could not wait to set up my mega tree and try everything out being this will be my first year with a LOR powered light show.

Below are some pictures of my tree. It is a 15 foot tree with a 2 foot star from christmaslightshow.com. Right now I have 48 strings total. 16 Red, 16 White, and 16 Green. I am thinking about adding 4 more strings of each color to make 60 strings total for a more fuller look.

It sticks up over my fence by about 8 feet so the people on the busy expressway behind my house can see it at night when I have been playing around with it. Probably a lot of people think I am crazy having a Christmas tree set up in my backyard in the middle of summer.

Attached files 209979=11706-004.JPG

Yeah, I am sure some that see it will think you are crazy.

I am sure most of us here have done the same thing, and know we are all crazy.:P

Its a good feeling knowing exactly how something goes together long before it is actually time.

Paul Roberson wrote:

Its a good feeling knowing exactly how something goes together long before it is actually time.

Not to mention excellent inspiration to see things start to come to life.

Setting up Christmas display's in the backyard during summer is a regular event around here.

Fun is people asking why they can hear Christmas music from the backyard while they are Trick or Treating.

Shubb wrote:

Setting up Christmas display's in the backyard during summer is a regular event around here.

Fun is people asking why they can hear Christmas music from the backyard while they are Trick or Treating.

I used my two 11ft trees last year for Halloween and scared the daylights out of folks.........."Oh no is it Christmas already"?

Shubb wrote:

"Probably a lot of people think I am crazy having a Christmas tree set up in my backyard in the middle of summer. "

It does not feel like the middle of summer here at 9c (48 F) right now and getting a bit cooler at night by the end of the week.

OMG, someone call the DFS or what ever they call it out in Cali. You are messing up your kids minds. What? A Christmas decoration in the middle of the summer. Look at them boys faces. I can see it in their eyes. They think that their father is crazy. Who ever heard of a Christmas decoration in the middle of the summer.

LOL, I have been relamping a wire frame Angel and took her out in the front yard and lit her up to see how she looked. I remember doing the same thing last year with my first controller and some 18" spiral trees that I had converted to LEDs.

Like someone else said, this will give you inspiration to do more for the up coming season. BTW Tree looks good even not lit.. And good for you to get your boys involved.

Looks good ! Now, after looking at it, I wonder how many old trampoline frames have been bypassed for use as a frame? Wonder if my granddaughter would notice if I took hers out of the back yard?

ryebred wrote:

It sticks up over my fence by about 8 feet so the people on the busy expressway behind my house can see it at night when I have been playing around with it. Probably a lot of people think I am crazy having a Christmas tree set up in my backyard in the middle of summer.

I dragged my mini trees out in the front yard one late Friday April night. I had people swirving to avoid running off the road when they saw it. I could hear the conversation now when he went home to his house.

"Honey I sware I only had 2 beers!! But I saw some idiot playing with Christmas lights down the street" ... "2 beers, right! And you drove home???"

Here is a picture of it at night with all of the lights on. I also ran a couple test animation sequences and took some video. Next year I will add a fifth controller to my display and split the tree up into 8 channels per color instead of the 4 channels per color that I have now.

Mega Light Tree Test Video

Attached files 210109=11713-All_Color.JPG

I love it. Man I need to start to build mine. This coming weekend I will build the base then the following weekend the rest. I am going to need the extra time to figure out how to build that JUMP Tree.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice looking mega tree.I put a few display items out in the yard this past weekend just to see how everything fits.I only put 2 sets of lights on my mega tree.I also only put out 2 of my 4 arches.Here's a few pictures.Bring on the cold weather!

Dans021-1.jpg

Dans026.jpg

Dans023.jpg

At first glance, it does seem strange to be sweating in the summer heat while breaking out the lights, but for the past two years I never touched it before november, and always felt EVERYTHING was rushed and half a good as it COULD have been if I had more time. So this year I made time - got my first arch built, and have plenty of strange looks from the neighbors as I began testing some sequences last night. The wife insisted it must come down this weekend, and nothing else goes up till october. :X

• The topic was locked