Light-O-Rama Forums

Possible Bug in 2.8.8?

jimswinder

When I copy an event of several cells (let's say three cells long) and then I hit one of the arrow keys (in this instance the down arrow to go to the next channel), it goes to the last cell that I have copied (Third cell), instead of going to the next channel down and remaining in the first cell.

Is this a bug, or just something I am used to seeing happen using Excel?

EDIT:

Using Windows 7

A more specific description of how you are doing this would be helpful.

Are you highlighting 3 cells using the mouse with selector tool clicked and then clicking on the copy button? Then down arrow.

OR are you highlighting the cells and then doing a Control-C? Then down arrow.

I would think it should go down 1 cell from where ever the focus last was on the grid but if focus is not on the grid then it is hard to say where it should go and that may be why you see it at last part of grid that you touched.

Not sure it is a bug when the behaviour is just not the same as it is in another company's differing product.

Ed P wrote

I would think it should go down 1 cell from where ever the focus last was on the grid but if focus is not on the grid then it is hard to say where it should go and that may be why you see it at last part of grid that you touched.

Not sure it is a bug when the behaviour is just not the same as it is in another company's differing product.

I always use CTRL-C and CTRL-V to copy and paste...and yes, I am using the mouse to highlight the cells (from left to right), and then hit the ARROW DOWN key.

I would ALWAYS think it should go to the beginning (first cell you copied) because that is where you would need to paste, isn't it?. If not, then you are having to BACK ARROW several times to get to the place you need to be.

Isn't the convection to always paste from left to right no matter how you copied it (IE If you copy from right to left, it will still paste left to right...at least in EXCEL)?

And yes..I would expect another Software Program to emulate a well known and often used software program (that has been around for over 25 years) when dealing with Keyboard shortcuts...why re-invent the wheel?

jimswinder wrote:

Ed P wrote

I always use CTRL-C and CTRL-V to copy and paste...and yes, I am using the mouse to highlight the cells (from left to right), and then hit the ARROW DOWN key.

I would ALWAYS think it should go to the beginning (first cell you copied) because that is where you would need to paste, isn't it?. If not, then you are having to BACK ARROW several times to get to the place you need to be.

Isn't the convection to always paste from left to right no matter how you copied it (IE If you copy from right to left, it will still paste left to right...at least in EXCEL)?

And yes..I would expect another Software Program to emulate a well known and often used software program (that has been around for over 25 years) when dealing with Keyboard shortcuts...why re-invent the wheel?

A windows application uses certain keys and mouse clicks that provide a common feel between applications. For example the Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V keys. Using the shift key with a right mouse click to extend selections, etc...

We try to follow standard windows conventions. We could use Ctrl+C for "Cut" rather than "Copy" but that of course would be silly. However, which cell is current after a selection is completed, is application specific and is what is best for the application

Like Excel we paste top left to bottom right but that only because that is natural and the direction people that use LOR write... and has nothing to do with Excel.

As far as what cell is the "current cell" after a select, LOR and Excel do differ. Once you have completed a selection; With excel, the current cell is the cell you started the selection from.... with LOR it is the cell that you ended the selection. With minimum key strokes (not count macros and things I do not know!) With LOR, if you wanted to copy directly below selection, you would select from top right to bottom left and then ctrl+c, down arrow, ctrl+v... With Excel you would select from bottom left to top right then ctrl+c, down arrow, ctrl+v ...

Unlike Excel, if you wanted to copy directly to the right of a selection, you would make the selection and hit repeat.

Dan