Light-O-Rama Forums

Viewing Animation

jimswinder

When playing a sequence and viewing it in the animation screen, it would be nice when you stop the song and minimize the animation, that the view of the sequencer on the your monitor is also at the same spot so you know where you are in the song instead of having to try and find it by scrolling...

Or should it being working this way.

Running my new Window 7 Laptop and it doesn't seem to work that way...

EDIT:

Just noticed if I DON'T have the Animation on full screen but minimized some I can see the sequencer and where it is at in the song while it is playing...but as soon as I hit the red square (in the Animator) to stop the song, the sequencer goes back to the beginning...

Edit 2:

And I now see that the answer is going to be "use the space bar to stop and start"...
LOL

Glad this forum is here so I can answer my own questions!!! :P

As Jim found out, you can use the spacebar to stop a sequence at an exact point. I don't see how adding the time into the animation window would help. (I don't even have the options visible on mine ... once I set the animator that section is minimized never to be seen again.)

How would the time in the animation window help, given that we can already stop the sequence at an exact point?

Don wrote:

As Jim found out, you can use the spacebar to stop a sequence at an exact point. I don't see how adding the time into the animation window would help. (I don't even have the options visible on mine ... once I set the animator that section is minimized never to be seen again.)

How would the time in the animation window help, given that we can already stop the sequence at an exact point?

Don,

It's just the way I sequence. After I think I have finished a sequence, I will go back to it at a later date and play it. More times than not, when watching it in the animation window, I will decide that I need something more at certain points. You are right in that I could stop it and note the time before continuing, but I like to watch the entire sequence to see how it flows. I have figured out a work around though since I have a much larger monitor now and Windows 7 lets me adjust the size of the windows. I just position the animation window over the sequencing window with the displayed time in the corner. That way, I know where to go back to and look more closely to make changes. I'm probably the only person that does it this way, so it's not a big deal to me since there are plenty of other enhancements that Bob and other programmers would be better spending their time on. It was just a passing thought when I posted it.

I have "wished" it before...the ability to be able to put "timing marks" onto the time scale, like you can with Video Editing Software.

That way you could mark where you want certain event s to happen, or where you want them to start and stop.

Denny wrote:

Don,

It's just the way I sequence. After I think I have finished a sequence, I will go back to it at a later date and play it. More times than not, when watching it in the animation window, I will decide that I need something more at certain points. You are right in that I could stop it and note the time before continuing, but I like to watch the entire sequence to see how it flows. I have figured out a work around though since I have a much larger monitor now and Windows 7 lets me adjust the size of the windows. I just position the animation window over the sequencing window with the displayed time in the corner. That way, I know where to go back to and look more closely to make changes. I'm probably the only person that does it this way, so it's not a big deal to me since there are plenty of other enhancements that Bob and other programmers would be better spending their time on. It was just a passing thought when I posted it.

That is the way I do it as well sort of...My animation window is a little below the timings of the squence window.

Denny wrote:

I think it would be helpful if the time were shown in the animation window also.

I agree completely. I've sent this to wishlist in the past but apparently not enough other people feel the same way. Before I upgraded to a newer pc and larger monitor, when I enlarged the animatioon view it would occupy the entire screen. I liked having the larger view but disliked not knowing the time a glitch occurred. It would have been nice to be able to just quickly note the time to make it easier to find the spot again. It's no longer an issue for me but I'm sure it still is a problem to those who use more conventional monitors.

George Simmons wrote:

It's no longer an issue for me but I'm sure it still is a problem to those who use more conventional monitors.

Are you sitting in your overstuffed Lazy-Boy doing your sequencing on you 102" HD Projector TV George? :P

Just realized something else about the animator...

would be nice if when you clicked on the sequencer (and the animator was the "open window") , the sequencing window would come to the front, instead of having to minimize the animator manually (like when you click on other "windows" in other applications).

or even an option when you stopped the song, the animator would minimize itself...because obviously you have stopped it to go back into the sequencer.

send to the wishlist...I know...

• 3 months later...

Paul,

I was searching on the subject of projectors and found your reply. I wanted to run something by you. I want to use a projector in my shop for displaying visualizer but have the sequencing on a regular monitor...haven't bought anything yet, but just doing some homework. I want the projector because I can display homes/businesses in my shop for a client to view while I sequence it on the PC??

Pro's / Con's, thoughts? Thanks.

Even better....be able to move the animation window to another monitor!!

Update: Guess I better play with the new version more. Seems you can already do this.

• 3 weeks later...

That should work out just fine!

Since the projector (As long as it is VGA/DVI/HDMI Input) acts as a second monitor, you can move your visualizer to the projector and have the sequence view on your main monitor.

I run dual monitors at home, and this is how I do my shows. I can't imagine doing my shows with just one monitor now!

I'm using duals at work....it will spoil you. I'm building a screen for my shop now. I want a decent projector, but the price ranges are out-of-site....having trouble desiding what luminus to get!

If you are in a studio where you can have good light control, you can get away with a lower lumen. It's all relative to the brightness of the room.

I'd say anything over 1000 in a dimmed room would be sufficient. But, if you are going to have customers in to view this, you might splurge on a brighter one and focus on the contrast a bit more.

Just my 2 cents...