Light-O-Rama Forums

BAK files

Bob Wingert

Do those need to be saved or kept? Everytime I make any change to a seq I see it creates a .bak file too. They've been driving me crazy so I just delete them everytime. Its just a back up file right? Not sure what its purpose is? So should I not be deleting these things?? UGH :D

Yes they are just backup files. The are created to protect your work in case something "bad" happens to the sequence file and it cannot be used. A file system error , power failure, bug in LOR, etc.... any of those things have a potential to cause the file to become corrupt and the backup file protects you.

As I recall, the backup file is verfied. That is, the sequence editor re-reads and parses it to ensure that it is a valid file. This is one of the reasons save is slower than it needs to be but we want it that way.

Dan

Yes it is a backup file. If you do something to your file you can delete it and rename the .bak file to .lms and it will be back to the state before you made your changes. You never know when you may need it. I always keep at least one backup. In fact I store copies of all my sequences on my usb drive and a couple of other computers in case of hard drive failure or theft.

pokrplr wrote:

Its just a back up file right? Not sure what its purpose is?

If you do any amount of sequencing at all, it's not a question of IF or IN CASE, but WHEN something happens that trashes a sequence. Been there - still looking for one that got away somewhere. I was moving them around in a directory and copying to a thumb drive and one turned up missing. Don't ask me how because I still haven't figured it out. Took me two weeks to create that missing sequence. Thank God the .bak file was there. You can delete them if you want but I guarantee there will come a time that you wish you hadn't...

PS - For the longest time I thought you were a pork-puller. It wasn't until the change of avatar I saw it was poker player, not pork puller. In fact I almost posted a smart aleck remark a while back asking if you were Cuban by chance... Strange how the mind sometimes fills in something completely different than what the eyes see...

George Simmons wrote:

pokrplr wrote:
Its just a back up file right? Not sure what its purpose is?

PS - For the longest time I thought you were a pork-puller. It wasn't until the change of avatar I saw it was poker player, not pork puller. In fact I almost posted a smart aleck remark a while back asking if you were Cuban by chance... Strange how the mind sometimes fills in something completely different than what the eyes see...

Pork Puller.... HAHAHA! I've been called worse :D ... Been playing 7 days a week for years. It helps level me out after a long day (of sequencing)

I am going to jump in here because I do a lot of IT stuff at work and lost data can be catastrophic to us. I am an advocate of backing up on top of back ups on top of back ups. The .bak file in the LOR directory is great until you loose an entire hard drive, then its not worth a darn.

In my current situation at home I run mirrored internal hard drives and do an internal back up every night. I also weekly back up my entire LOR directory, including all of the installation files, sequences, audio, EVERYTHING to two different external hard drives on alternating days. In doing these back ups I do not overwrite the previous back up, but each back up becomes an independent file. This way I can go further back than the most recent back up to recover data, changed files that I don't want to keep etc.

I know that to most of you this back up protocol seems pretty extreme, but I don't want 1000's of hours of sequencing to depend on a $100 piece of **** hard drive.

I know that to most of you this back up protocol seems pretty extreme, but I don't want 1000's of hours of sequencing to depend on a $100 piece of **** hard drive.

So is there a way to tell LOR where to save a backup? I agree that putting it in the same folder on the same drive is not of much use.

jimswinder wrote:

So is there a way to tell LOR where to save a backup? I agree that putting it in the same folder on the same drive is not of much use.

Not as far as LOR itself that I know of, but I use Windows Back UP and Restore for the automatic internal back up, and manually do a back up to the external HDD's on my own.

LOR Mods? Jump in here.

The intention of the bak file was not to provide backup in case of a hardrive failure. Rather it was paranoia on my part that somehow that a glitch in the PC or the LOR application would render a file corrupt and non-usable.

The bak file is verified to be usable by the Sequence Editor during save. Now having the file automatically saved to another drive for redundancy and or protection from catastrophic failure is a different thing and not the intention here.

Backup should be applied system wide and is a different application.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

The intention of the bak file was not to provide backup in case of a hardrive failure. Rather it was paranoia on my part that somehow that a glitch in the PC or the LOR application would render a file corrupt and non-usable.

So is that a "NO", we cannot have LOR save the bak. file to a directory of our choosing?

George Simmons wrote:

Sounds like it to me. :P

So get those "wishlist" emails flying!!!

email address is wishlist@lightorama.com

Hey Dan...how about adding wishlist@lightorama.com to the email list on your General Support Page on the website?