Light-O-Rama Forums

Error Saving File

Denny

Using 2.8.6 and received the following error message when trying to save my changes: "Error saving file... do you want to save to another file name? Detail: Invalid procedure call or argument." When I select "yes" to save it under another file name, I receive the same error message, so I was unable to save. This was just a sequence I started to teach myself some of the new features, so no great loss. What preceeded the error message was my deletion of some channels. I deleted all the channels in Unit 1 plus 3 RGB channels. I left the channels for Unit 2 and all the iDMX channels. Up to this point, I have experienced no problems with 2.8.6

Edit to include: Guess I should have said that I am running on Windows 7, 64 bit, 8 megs of RAM.

I found a few funny problems with 2.8.6 and when I upgraded to 2.8.8, so far I can't see any bugs on two computers.

Does this happen consistently, or have you been able to save other files with it?

If you can't save anything ever, my first guess would be that perhaps something is misinstalled (perhaps some LOR component, but perhaps some Windows component that LOR uses). So, my suggestion would be to run Windows Update and get all of your Windows stuff up to date, and then if that fails to resolve the problem, uninstall/reinstall LOR.

If it was only a problem this one time, and you can otherwise save just fine, then can you recreate the problem, by trying the same things as you did the first time? If so, then if you could please tell me step-by-step specifically what you do to recreate it, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Bob,

It happened only one time. I have been messing with the same sequence since 2.8.6 was released and saved it fine each time. I have added channels with no problem, saved all changes, etc. The only time it happened was when I deleted channels. The sequence consists of two 16 channel controllers, 3 RGB channels, and the iDMX with 512 channels. The problem occured after I deleted all 16 channels in Unit 1 and the 3 RGB channels. The only thing remaining was the 16 channels in Unit 2 and the 512 iDMX channels. I will see if I can replicate the problem with the same sequence as I still have it before I tried to make the changes.

I have been able to open other sequences in 2.8.6 and save them without any problems. I even saved the "problem" test/training sequence many times without other problems. As far as deleting the channels, I simply right clicked on each channel and selected delete channel. No indication of any problems until I tried to save.

I tried to replicate the problem with the same sequence, but everything works as designed.

Well, maybe not quite, not sure. Even though I delete the channels in the sequence editor, they not only still show up in the Animation Window, they still "blink" in the animation window as if the channels are still in the sequence editor. I noted also that the channels have been deleted from the listing area where you select view, erase, draw, even though the graphics are still present in the animation display area. However, I can go in and erase them from the animation display area.

One more quirk, and this is not unique to 2.8.6 but has appeared since LOR started using video files. Even though I am doing a musical sequence with an MP3 and not a video, the Media Player Video window opens up automatically in any sequence. If there is not a video associated with the sequence, then the video window shows the abstract design normally seen when playing audio through the media player -- and it is synched to the music being played in the sequence. Has anybody else noticed this since S2 was released?

Denny wrote:

One more quirk, and this is not unique to 2.8.6 but has appeared since LOR started using video files. Even though I am doing a musical sequence with an MP3 and not a video, the Media Player Video window opens up automatically in any sequence. If there is not a video associated with the sequence, then the video window shows the abstract design normally seen when playing audio through the media player -- and it is synched to the music being played in the sequence. Has anybody else noticed this since S2 was released?

Denny, I have not noticed this. One thought might be that assuming the sequence you are referring to has never been associated with a video file, and only an audio one, what are the file association settings for your WMP?

Did you set it (or allow it to be set when upgrading to the latest version) to be the default player for all audio files on your pc?

Greg

Greg,

To the best of my knowledge, I just let LOR set everything. I first noticed it shortly after S2 was released, so it's not something unique to 2.8.x. It happens with all musical sequences, old ones, new ones, and those created by others. I used to do all my sequencing on my laptop which runs XP, but I built a machine about a year ago to use as a media center and to sequence LOR. The new machine that I built originally ran Vista but I upgraded it to Windows 7. It does the same thing on all 3 operating systems. I'm not complaining about it as I think it might be useful during certain songs in a show. I will have to check the file associations in WMP and get back to you on that. I only brought it up as I have never seen anyone else mention it in the forums.

Denny wrote:

[snip]

Make sure that "Display Audio Visualizations" is not checked in your "Video Preferences"...

Edit->Preferences->Video Preferences

Dan

Even though I delete the channels in the sequence editor, they not only still show up in the Animation Window, they still "blink" in the animation window as if the channels are still in the sequence editor. I noted also that the channels have been deleted from the listing area where you select view, erase, draw, even though the graphics are still present in the animation display area. However, I can go in and erase them from the animation display area.

It sounds to me like perhaps the channels in question were in more than one track, and rather than "Delete Channel", you did either a "Remove Channel from Track" or else you clicked on "X" in the Channel Property Grid (which is "Remove Channel from Track", not "Delete Channel"). Is this correct?

As mentioned, this probably indicates that Edit/Preferences/Video Preferences/Display Audio Visualizations is turned on. If that's not the case, please let us know.

Bob, The sequence only has one track. I removed the channels by right clicking on each channel and selecting either "delete channel" or the "delete RGB channel".

You are correct, Display Audio Visualizations was turned on. That brings up another question, if I want the visualization to show during a scheduled show, if I turn on the Display Audio Visualizations, will it work during the show or does it only work in the Sequence Editor?

Bob, The sequence only has one track. I removed the channels by right clicking on each channel and selecting either "delete channel" or the "delete RGB channel".

Hmmm... that's strange, then. If it still happens for you, could you please send me a copy of the sequence, and tell me which channel/RGB channel to delete which will stay present in the Animator? Thanks.

You are correct, Display Audio Visualizations was turned on. That brings up another question, if I want the visualization to show during a scheduled show, if I turn on the Display Audio Visualizations, will it work during the show or does it only work in the Sequence Editor?

It will work during the show as well.

• 3 months later...

Did this ever get resolved? I am having the same problem with 2.8.12, windows 7. The file save happens when I try to delete a particular LOR channel.