Light-O-Rama Forums

Where to buy rope light

TJ Hvasta

I had found a web store that had 150' of .. 10mm rope light for $55 on closeout, but I cant find it now... does anyone have a good source for rope light on a reel... 100+ ft? I'm trying to make the halloween talking faces that Kevin (Cracker) did..

Action Lighting (http://www.actionlighting.com/) has sales throughout the year, especially after the holidays. We bought 4 roles of 2 wire incandescent rope from them 3 years ago, and still have it in the display.

We use it to trim the roof ridge lines, and one year I forgot to take the rope light down, it baked for a complete year in the desert sun.......no noticeable fading when I finally brought them down.

They always have something on sale, currently they have 10 Amp - 6 pin molex connector kits for $.50 cents each.

They carry everything lighting, if you need it they have it.

Well, my CDI 13mm orange rope light came in.. I unpacked it, looked it over but was confused about where to cut it.. the paper that came with the rope was a poor xerox copy, very difficult to decern the cut marks.. I had to phone them, but Paul was helpful. Showed me where the rope can be cut (36" length only). :) Next time, I'll go to AL, they have 18" rope.

I got CDI rope cut and mounted on the frame and it works ok. I did buy 8 of the plug/spline kits, but could;ve used SPT1/2 just tinned the end and stuffed it into the rope light, heat shrinked over it.. next time...

Overall, if 36" length will work for you, CDI is a good buy..

TJ

• 6 months later...

Dan C wrote:

I want to buy white/clear rope lights from 1000bulbs.com. What would you recommend for brightness design? I only need 2 wire. But I cannot decide between clear, or white. I know I don't want led. I love their prices, what So many to choose from and I have no clue on the quality! Please let me know your experiences!

I have 12 new boxes of 18ft snowflake type rope light from Lowe's. if you are interested, email me..
Smaris666@msn.com

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Dan C wrote:

I want to buy white/clear rope lights from 1000bulbs.com. What would you recommend for brightness design? I only need 2 wire. But I cannot decide between clear, or white. I know I don't want led. I love their prices, what So many to choose from and I have no clue on the quality! Please let me know your experiences!

I've purchased the larger 5/8" commercial grade clear rope light for use as cove lighting in my home theater. Very bright, at 7 watts/foot, it should be. you can see it in this photo.

100_8057.jpg

I've also purchased a roll of orange 1/2" for my singing pumpkin, it wasn't as bright as the clear, but was still good.

100_8780.jpg

I also used some of the clear as backlight for my radio sign.

100_8767.jpg

Quality of the rope light is good, however the plastic spool it comes on is crap, but thats not a big deal to me.

I would recommend ordering a few extra 6' ends and caps. they only come with 3 and your bound to need more.

As for clear or white, I would have to say it depends on the look your going for. the clear is going to be more of a "Point" light the white will diffuse the light a little bit and it won't be quite as bright, but not much as much of a bright point either. Its all up to your personal tastes.

Hope that helps.

I agree, love the ceiling.. I'd do it to mine, but vaulted, angled, doesn't provide anyway to do it.. best I can do is put them over the kitchen cabinets..

I have ordered a boat load of LED rope light spools from CDI in the presale, but the do not have any in stock, because this is a new item for them. I wanted to test out a snowflake frame I have 15 of and need to know the spacing, and feet for each one.

So I found this place, took a chance, and ordered, and I got it across the country from East coast to West coast in about 3 days, and the price was not bad. I was very leery, but I tried them, paid with paypal, so there is a little bit of safety there, and lo and behold the rope light is very nice, and not too expensive.

It cost 59.99 for a 50ft roll of 2 wire 1/2 inch clear white and 12.99 shipping across the US.

Rope light is nice and bright white. I have not applied it to a star yet, but looks good so far. They only have 1/2 inch 2 wire, but just what I was looking for. The nice thing about them is they have smaller amounts if you need some for testing or just a short roll.

Their links are a bit wacky and not well cross referenced, but if you trudge around, you might find what you are looking for at a decent price.

I will give you all an update when I work on the snowflake to let you know about the quality.

http://www.mengmengusainc.com/index.html

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Dan C wrote:

I too am about to purchase some rope light and have been calling distributors regarding the clear vs. white. They all say the following almost word for word.

The white is the same bulbs as the clear, it is just a white sheath or piping instead of a clear one. They say the clear is great for PROVIDING lighting (to light something else up). While the white will look better if you are looking at the rope light itself, like in my application which is a snowman.

Also the 3/8 in bends better than the 1/2 in.

Nick