Light-O-Rama Forums

Outdoor speakers

scubado

I'm in need of getting a pair of outdoor speakers and wondering what size and quality do you guys use. Menards has some cheap ones, but sound like crap. I found these online that might be ok:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882184245&cm_re=outdoor_speaker-_-82-184-245-_-Product

I don't have to throw sound very far, but want it sound fairly decent.

Those should do fine.

I use several pairs of speakers. It worked better for me to have more speakers at a lower volume.

It's really is a 'depends' question. Only you can answer what is good enough for you given your foot traffic, acceptable level of sound quality, and financial investment.

I use 2 way el-cheapo speakers with 4" woofers. No highs, no lows (but they are not bose:P) but they work sufficiently well for my purposes. Some people broadcast through old boom boxes and that works well enough for them.

Because I use a FM transmitter I use a small boom box just loud enough that you can hear the music when you are in front of the house.

Last year I had a ready to go system in a box w/12 channels and a small speaker with generic music. On our Santa night, I used a bookshelf speaker that was much better, but not a speaker I want to keep outside. This year using LOR and much better music, so I'd like it sound good within a cheap budget.

Don't forget about Garage Sales. I have picked up numerous high quality speakers for under $10.00 per set. Use them one year and if they are ruined throw them away. The last set I bought are true outdoor speakers that can work on both 70 volt and 8 ohms and have terrific bottom end. They are Tannoy so I bent my rule and paid $25.00 for the pair.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - now I am worried! I see the Original Poster scored some 150 Watt Speakers!

I purchased a set of 40 Watt Outdoor Speakers at Best Buys Ebay Store for $15 - I was proud of myself but cannot test them until my AMP comes.

I have about 25 Feet from Street to House - will my 40 Watts throw off enough sound?

I am currently trying to buy some refurbished Outdoor Polk Atrium 6 speakers on eBay.

I have listened to them (next to Bose) at Fryes at they sound fantastic.

New they cost $399 per pair at Fryes...$299 on eBay, but only have a starting bid of $95 for the refurbished ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230509731450&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

They come in Black or White.

Attached files 209672=11680-atrium60.jpg

One thing i do for speakers that are in a harsh enviroment is wrap them in a garbage bag.They last a long time in there.

I am sure you all are aware, but just in case a few aren't - make sure your speakers are built to handle the output of your amp.

To be most efficient they should be matched - ie not only do you want to avoid using a 10 watt speaker on a 50 watt per channel amp, but you also don't want to drive a 100 watt speaker with a 10 watt amp either!

Also if using more than 2 speakers, use a audio switch. Many amps will tolerate a range of impedances ( most audio speakers are 8 ohm) from 8 ohms down to 4 or even less, but best performance for most amps is at an 8 ohm output per channel.

This is where audio speaker switches come in very handy. If you simply hook up more than one speaker to the outputs on the back of the amp per channel, you will be decreasing the load (8 ->4 ohms for 2 speakers, less for more). If you series connect them, it will increase the impedance.

I run 6 speakers (4 for the display), in addition to my FM transmitter, and use just such a switch.

Greg

Greg Young wrote:

This is where audio speaker switches come in very handy.

Do you have a link to an example of what one looks like?

KenL_MCSE wrote:

http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/speaker-selectors.html

You could probably get a cheap one at walmart

Well...that's what I thought it was...but would this allow (if you had four speakers) all four speakers to be "on" and not drop the ohms for each one?

Or does it just allow you to switch back and forth between the four and only have two on at any one time?

jimswinder wrote:

KenL_MCSE wrote:
http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/speaker-selectors.html

You could probably get a cheap one at walmart

Well...that's what I thought it was...but would this allow (if you had four speakers) all four speakers to be "on" and not drop the ohms for each one?

Or does it just allow you to switch back and forth between the four and only have two on at any one time?

Per the specs, "Listen to one or any combination of speakers at one time," so I would assume you can run all four sets simultaneously.