Light-O-Rama Forums

Anybody Else Going to Wait on 2.8.8?

jim6918

Normally I am far from a reactionary hysteric, but I haven't DL 2.8.8 yet, and don't plan on it until things seem to shake out here. I am smack in the middle of editing last years sequences and 6 new ones for 2010 and really couldnt stand a collapse of my sequencing muse thats going on now.

Anybody else thinking about holding off for a while?

I used to know an old IT guy who said that he NEVER DL any Microsoft updates for at least 2 months after they had been out.

One thing I have noticed is that the issues with 2.8.8 have sure caught the attention of the mods and they really appear to be seriously interesting in addressing them. Congrats guys.

You can always go back to the older version. What I did was after opening a sequence immediately do a 'save as' and rename it with the version # so that any changes made won't screw up your original file in case you need to revert back to it. The new features are pretty nice once you start figuring them out. The Help contents was helpful for me to figure out the new features. Also I'm sure the guys would appreciate good feedback, hopefully more good than bad to help get bugs taken care of.

I haven't had any of the download, install or significant performance issues others have described. I've got 2..8 loaded on both a desktop and a notebook PC running Windows 7 and Vista respectively. Yes there have been a few minor bugs and quirks that I have seen but LOR is pretty up front about posting and taking care of those kinds of things. Personally, I've already saved a LOT of time using 2.8 and I'd say go ahead and upgrade and take Scoobie's advice just to be safe.

jim6918 wrote:

Normally I am far from a reactionary hysteric, but I haven't DL 2.8.8 yet, and don't plan on it until things seem to shake out here. I am smack in the middle of editing last years sequences and 6 new ones for 2010 and really couldnt stand a collapse of my sequencing muse thats going on now.

Anybody else thinking about holding off for a while?

I used to know an old IT guy who said that he NEVER DL any Microsoft updates for at least 2 months after they had been out.

One thing I have noticed is that the issues with 2.8.8 have sure caught the attention of the mods and they really appear to be seriously interesting in addressing them. Congrats guys.

Initially had the same thoughts, but bit the bullet on 2.8.6 (with no errors), and then figured 2.8.8 would be safer yet. No errors noted so far, but haven't used it a ton. Agree that the added features are worth the risk. Either way, LOR is definitely not Microsoft. From what I have seen, there is a vast difference in their proven commitment and loyalty to their customers. Neither are perfect, but at least LOR will admit it and not blame another company's software for the problem, and will do everything in their power to correct the situation. My guess is that Dan, Bob, and team have had a few minimal sleep nights this week making sure any bugs are worked out.

Whether you upgrade or not, make multiple backups. You never know when Microsoft might release some update that might mess up your computer! :D

I am having no problems and have not done a microsoft update for about 8 monthes.Every time i do the updates it takes something out.Last time it made my microsoft router not work.I only let it do security updates once in awhile.

You will be missing out on the NEW time saving features.

This upgrade went in and out of Beta in a short time. Yes, some additional bugs where found and corrected quickly.

I have been waiting for a bit also. Bugs like to zero in on me so I'll wait for the dust to settle before upgrading.

I'm going to install 2.8.8 tonight and see what happen. Keeping the fingers cross and hope all will be well.

Thomas

Installed 2.8.8 last night, no problems so far, seems to run sequences ok.
Running it on an old laptop
xp sp3
1.86g P4, 2g ram

Attached files 208578=11595-house lights 6.jpg

jim6918 wrote:

Ummm not sure if that is the best advice!
The bad guys usually know about the flaws before M$.
Then once M$ out the patch there are others that are looking to exploit the flaws.

Now back to the LOR update I have 2.8.6 and it is working fine. I will update later once any bugs have been worked out

I LOVE THE NEW VERSION!

Running on a Windows 7 laptop 64 bit 3 GB ram

With Microsoft time and experience has taught me to wait a couple of months whenever they release a new OS (not an upgrade - a new one).

With LOR, I have never waited.

I am running 2.8.6 on XP media center without any issues.

I love the new features.

I would suggest folks give it a shot - after all it is early August, not late Septmeber....

Greg

Greg Young wrote:

With Microsoft time and experience has taught me to wait a couple of months whenever they release a new OS (not an upgrade - a new one).

With LOR, I have never waited.

I am running 2.8.6 on XP media center without any issues.

I love the new features.

I would suggest folks give it a shot - after all it is early August, not late Septmeber....

Greg

Oh I upgraded when 2.8.6 came out (LOVE LOVE LOVE the new features) but the 2.8.8 just fixed some bug that I'm not experiencing.

I totally agree with waiting whenever MS releases a new OS.

Ok, I am sure this new version is really cool. Did you have to go change the short cuts on the keyboards. Some of my favorites are changed. Now trying to teach a old dog new tricks. I spent half the night pushing the wrong buttons. I guess I need to take the entire day off tomorrow learning this thing again.

I have not downloaded the updates yet, mostly because I only have 30 seconds left on a sequence I was in the middle of completing when the updates came out. I wanted to finish what I was doing and then get the updates and go back through all 6 sequences that I have completed so far and take a look at them with the new software.

Also, I ordered CCR's in the sale and they most likely wont arrive until end of August or early September when my new DC controller with quick connects is in stock. So I still have some time to play with everything before digging deep into the new CCR tools.