Light-O-Rama Forums

Stuck in my sequence,

Guest guest

I am programming to Elton John's Step into Christmas and am stuck on the chorus. My wife is a huge Elton fanantic so I am working the song into the show. It is great, except I am stuck at how to sequence the chorus. If anyone has ever used this song or has any ideas let me know. I will try and attach the song.

This might sound dumb, but try adding some patterns or random clicking! I have seen several cases where people have gotten frustrated and clicked randomly on their grid. Then after playing it, it gave them a new idea, pattern, or direction to go.

When I get stuck, I try to create 1, 2, or 3 different patterns and run them at the same time. It works well to get through little passages, but I'm not so sure about something big the like the chorus...

Or give it a break and try again later. If you come back to it a week or two later, sometimes you can find a new spark of inspiration.

Hope that helps!

I just finished my first sequence, but a couple of times I came to the point of "what do I do now?" What I did was to find other peoples video's, watch them, get some ideas and incorporate those ideas into my sequence. Helps as a refresher.

contactmike1 wrote:

This might sound dumb, but try adding some patterns or random clicking! I have seen several cases where people have gotten frustrated and clicked randomly on their grid. Then after playing it, it gave them a new idea, pattern, or direction to go.

When I get stuck, I try to create 1, 2, or 3 different patterns and run them at the same time. It works well to get through little passages, but I'm not so sure about something big the like the chorus...

Or give it a break and try again later. If you come back to it a week or two later, sometimes you can find a new spark of inspiration.

Well once into a song... let the music guide the song... the pace and beat of the song takes control of the lights, even if you use chasing patterns, the music will still take control. I also recommend in the middle of the song, not to change everything radically... once you start a song with a technique, you should remain consistent with that same technique... you might feel like you are being repetitive in your programming but it will look better to stay consistent at the show time.