Light-O-Rama Forums

Mobile Black Box

crabtreechristmas

First every once in awhile we must review the law. As a non-licenced station. You are allowed to only transmit a few hundred feet. So all of this talk about adding antennas and what not might very well make you illegal in the eyes of FCC.

I am just saying.

So what is it that you are trying to do?

I have the mobile black box with the larger antenna --- mine transmits just about what they claim -- ~400 feet or a couple of houses on either side of mine (1/4 acre lots). I like this transmitter for my uses -- am sure there are others too.

Jim

I have the v6000 and the larger telescoping antenna. I put the antenna on the peak of my roof and got around 1000 ft. you had to be sitting still or it would be staticy. the problem with mine was the test I ran had to have my laptop and transmitter on the roof. if you have the 4000 there is no problem getting range. the 6000 however has sma plugs and cant find them locally. I am about to attempt the ramsey style tru match to see if it will clear the static up. good luck

I agree with Jim I have the longer antenna outside the garage & get 300-350 feet. This is all I need because after that distance you can not see the display.
Mike

I too have the MBB (E4000) with 33' antenna. I keep both in the garage and the range/clarity is great!!!

The 4000 comes with an extending antenna .....

Not being very knowledgeable about electronics ... can you change the length you extend the antenna to change the range you get or does it risk causing damage to the transmitter.

The 4000 transmitted much further than I ever need and am looking to see how it can be reduced .

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks for all the replies, I want the music to go farther because this year I'm putting my transmitter in my basement. Wouldn't this effect the distance?

I have to put my antenna outside of my window --- the V6000 transmitter is on the inside window sill --- if I don't put the antenna outside, the transmission does not go very far at all. So, given my experience along with other replies, I'm thinking you should certainly put the antenna outside --- and maybe even up high ... or you won't transmit very far [of course, I'm no expert at this stuff].

Jim

crabtreechristmas wrote:

Thanks for all the replies, I want the music to go farther because this year I'm putting my transmitter in my basement. Wouldn't this effect the distance?

If you have the 4000, I don't think you'll have to. But mine is in the garage and the antenna wasn't fully raised and still got beyond the legal limits. It's cheap enough, buy it and see. It will surely be better than not having it being in the basement. You might be surprised. I sure was...

The good thing is, you have time to play around with it.

for those of you who have the 4000 and fear that you are transmitting to far. There have been a few threads over on PC. Check out the section that has Christmas signs and music. Cant remember the exact thread title. It is right near the section about electrical questions. Someone found a attenuator that lowers the signal to the antenna.

One of the threads I think Max is talking about is this link.

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/41280-Own-bought-or-thinking-of-an-Mobile-Black-Box-Eclipse-4000-GET-ONE-OF-THESE-TOO!?highlight=attenuator

I purchased one and will test it out soon but sounds like it does the trick to lower the transmission to a legal/lower limit.

By the way. I was able to purchase just one and got it. The post mentioned you had to buy two or something of a minimum price to order.

Hope it helps.

The regulation is a specific field strength at a specific distance (see attached..word of caution, this might not be the latest...check the FCC website to be sure).

Just because you have signal beyond a specific radial distance, doesn't mean you will be sentenced to 10 years hard labor and your equipment, children, and pets will be confiscated.

Attached files oet63rev.pdf

Thanks Santa's Helper,

I was just returning now I have some time with the same link as yours. You got it spot on.

And as DonFL notes, its not about the power, yet that is part of the determination of how far you will transmit, so does the antenna. In the case of the OP of the link, the Attenuator reduced the power so that his transmission range was reduced to an acceptable range.

What we attempted to do is lower the power that would be available to the antenna. So that it would emulate some of the Rameys or EDM transmitters out on the market, or even the MBB 6000 transmitter.

Max-Paul wrote:

Thanks Santa's Helper,

I was just returning now I have some time with the same link as yours. You got it spot on.

And as DonFL notes, its not about the power, yet that is part of the determination of how far you will transmit, so does the antenna. In the case of the OP of the link, the Attenuator reduced the power so that his transmission range was reduced to an acceptable range.

What we attempted to do is lower the power that would be available to the antenna. So that it would emulate some of the Rameys or EDM transmitters out on the market, or even the MBB 6000 transmitter.

But acceptable defined as...? I would guess there IS that situation where to cover the intended area of a residence, it might require more than the allowed field strength. The last time I built any kind of FM transmitter was a bazillion years ago when I talked my parents into loaning me 10 bucks for the little Eico kit at the local radio shop, so can't speak to tons of performance experience in that band. (A lot easier negotiation that time than the 150 dollar loan/advance I asked for after I got my ham ticket so I could get on the air..:D..).

But I digress...:?

Without accurate field strength measurements, you really don't know if you are legal. For this, from a calculated standpoint, it will more than suffice.

Again..we're dealing with low power hobbyist transmitters...if there is no intent to wreak havoc on the airwaves, and no one complains and shows intended malice by the interferer, there really is no worry. The Commission understands the phrase "no harmful intent..".

I have posted several times about the MBB 4000 that I used last year and intend to use again this year. With the stock antenna fully extended, and the MBB as dead center inside my house as you could find (several walls to the outside) I could broadcast nearly a mile, albeit the signal was very staticky but recognizable. After all who else would be playing Linus and Lucy in July? I lowered the antenna all the way and during Christmas have the MBB in a window facing the street. I still get excellent audio 2 blocks in all directions. The way my house is situated on my block you can only see my display from a 1/2 block in one direction and 3 houses in the other. Why would I want to broadcast further? Do some people hope to have their displays viewable from outer space? I think you are just tempting trouble by trying to get further distance when you don't need to. Who would need a complaint and possible shut down of their display come December 20th?

From the company's website:

MobileBlackBox.com does not advertise its products as FCC approved.

It follows that you use these transmitters at your own risk. DonFL's document makes an interesting read too.

Edit: As Jim says, if the transmitter power is kept very low, they will probably not be noticed.

Regards,

Alan.

My name is Max-Paul and I approve the last 3 post.:D And for those who do not see it, my approval or lack is not needed, this first part has been a tongue in cheek comment.

Now I have to say that the last 3 gentlemen in my opinion are hitting it dead on. 1) no one needs to transmit across town. 2) doing so will draw attention to you and your display. 3) if it is someone who can not see your display, but yet hears your transmission, is that a good thing?

Max-Paul wrote:

My name is Max-Paul and I approve the last 3 post.:D And for those who do not see it, my approval or lack is not needed, this first part has been a tongue in cheek comment.

Now I have to say that the last 3 gentlemen in my opinion are hitting it dead on. 1) no one needs to transmit across town. 2) doing so will draw attention to you and your display. 3) if it is someone who can not see your display, but yet hears your transmission, is that a good thing?

Thanks Max-Paul. Getting the nod from you really makes me feel like a member of the club. I finally made it.

jim6918 wrote:

Max-Paul wrote:

Thanks Max-Paul. Getting the nod from you really makes me feel like a member of the club. I finally made it.

Ok, knock it off Jim. Your a real class clown. Me! I am just a little fish with a big mouth. Nothing special about me. I am just an athletic supporter, or something like that. :D:shock: