Light-O-Rama Forums

Music Analyzer

Guest guest

thedementedelf wrote:

I stumbled across this site http://www.mixmeister.com/download_freestuff.html

For signing up to their mailing list you can download a free beats per minute analyzer. Thought this might help with doing sequences.

Hi Elf!

Being musically challenged, is really rough with this hobby! :laughing: However, I took your advice and downloaded the BPM program anyway! I have now analyzed all my songs that I want to siequence.

My BPM times range from 84.27 to 187.19 BPM. Now I dont quite know what I can do with all this information...and how to use it to help siequence the music for LOR.

Whatcha suggest???

Thanks!

I am similarly challenged :-) I was glad to see your post as I have the same question and hoped someone more inclined would reply.

I downloaded the BPM software and believe the point is to find out how many beats per minute, which can help you establish the timing grid in LOR. For example, if there are 140 BPM, 60 / 140 = .428 seconds per beat.

I think a song of that tempo would be awkward to use - if you are trying to keep synchronized to the beat - because it won't take long until your timings get a bit off.

Versus, if you found a song which is 120 BPM, 60 / 120 = .5 seconds per beat which would work very consistently (or you can use .1 second grid and know that 5 squares will equal one beat).

On the assumption that my understanding is correct, I'll probably run the 80 candidate songs I have through the software and then narrow down to those which are best suited based on timings which are easily created in LOR.

But I would sure appreciate someone else chiming in because I feel quite in the dark.

Rick Hughes wrote:

I am similarly challenged :-) I was glad to see your post as I have the same question and hoped someone more inclined would reply.

I downloaded the BPM software and believe the point is to find out how many beats per minute, which can help you establish the timing grid in LOR. For example, if there are 140 BPM, 60 / 140 = .428 seconds per beat.

I think a song of that tempo would be awkward to use - if you are trying to keep synchronized to the beat - because it won't take long until your timings get a bit off.

Versus, if you found a song which is 120 BPM, 60 / 120 = .5 seconds per beat which would work very consistently (or you can use .1 second grid and know that 5 squares will equal one beat).

On the assumption that my understanding is correct, I'll probably run the 80 candidate songs I have through the software and then narrow down to those which are best suited based on timings which are easily created in LOR.

But I would sure appreciate someone else chiming in because I feel quite in the dark.

Hi Rick!

I was exploring that site and discovered that they sell software to "mix music" that change both the beat and the key of the music that you ran through it. It also had a display that would show the "peaks and valleys" of the music, so that you could "see" the music as you hear it. Sounds like a great program if you are a DJ and need to mix music on a regular basis!

After reading your "math" challenge, I got to thinking that perhaps any instrumental song with an "odd tempo" whose BPM couldn't be "gridded" easily could be run through the mix master type program and could have the music tempo adjusted so that it would fall easily within a "grid". This may or may not work for a song with lyrics.

Any one with any experience have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Kathy