Light-O-Rama Forums

Outdoor Speakers

cyberbilly1

Hi all,
Last year was my first year using Light-o-rama and for all of the headaches I actually think my display turned out fairly well! Seeing as how things were just starting, I elected not to go with an FM transmitter and only had outdoor speakers (for better or worse that's what we wanted, to sit outside with friends and neighbours and talk while watching the show). Anyway, I ended up going with these speakers: http://www.thenerds.net/CABLES_UNLIMITED.Cables_Unlimited_Audio_Unlimited_Wireless_Rock_Add_on_Speaker.SPKROCK2.html?affid=63
They worked fairly well, decent sound quality, and the 3.5mm audio input worked out great with the MP3 Show Director in the light-o-rama box. However, the only issue with them was that they automatically turn off after 5 min of inactivity (i.e. when the show is over for the night) and thus have to be turned back on manually the next day. A pain, sure, but I'm still learning and was willing to do it. Now I'm looking for a better solution to this issue, I just don't know where to start. I'd like to use the same setup (MP3 director to outdoor speakers) but can't get my brain around where to go. Would it be better to get an amplifier and use better, non-powered, speakers? Can anyone recommend a decent set of powered speakers to replace the Cables Unlimited ones? Open to any and all suggestions!

Since you like the speakers, and have already invested money in them, why not just bypass the automatic turn off function if that is your only complaint?

I'd love if I could. Haven't actually cracked them open yet to see if that's a possibility though. Might be a project for the weekend if I don't get any other suggestions (or if the suggestions are a bit too costly for my taste ;))

I use a 40.00 pair of outdoor speakers from BrandSmart (big box discount electronics store in my area) hooked to an old home stero amp.

My amp sits inside, and it sounds like your mp3director is probably outside, but that asside - I have NEVER had a good experience with wireless speakers (and Im an AV guy)

If you want really good, clean sound - use a hard wire.

cyberbilly1 wrote:

I'd love if I could. Haven't actually cracked them open yet to see if that's a possibility though.

Connect the speaker's power supply to a spare LOR channel. Turn it on when the show starts.

Steven wrote:

Connect the speaker's power supply to a spare LOR channel.  Turn it on when the show starts.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the way the speakers are designed, when power is toggled they will always default to Off and I'd still have to go physically press the On button for each speaker. It's a shame really cause the speakers are actually fairly rugged and still have a decent sound.

Steven wrote:

cyberbilly1 wrote:
I'd love if I could. Haven't actually cracked them open yet to see if that's a possibility though.

Connect the speaker's power supply to a spare LOR channel. Turn it on when the show starts.

What is that thing you speak of called "a spare LOR channel". I don't know that I have ever seen or heard of one of those...?

Might be a dumb answer, but I have a set of wireless out-door speakers, had the same problem: when power was cut they defaulted to always off. Since I was only powering two wall-warts for these speakers, I just ran a 'always hot' power cord to them, when they don't sense a signal from the transmitter it shuts down audio output (No static) but power is always on and ready at 5:00 PM. We have done it for years now, and it works like a charm and has never failed.

Hope it helps.