Light-O-Rama Forums

enclosure for 3 - CTB16PC boards

bwaldrep

I'm working on a new mega tree, and have 3 CTB16PC boards, which will all be used for a 22-25' mega tree. Since all 3 boards will be at the base of the tree, I was hoping to find an enclosure to house all 3, verses 3 separate enclosures.

I have looked at http://www.yourbroadbandstore.com/category.php?cat=e

But none seem big enough for 3 boards.

a google search found a 17Hx10Wx3D enclosure @ http://www.hometech.com but they would probably only hold 2 boards.

Anyone know of low cost option somewhere in the size range of 24-28Hx10Wx3D.

I guess I can do 2 enclosures, but I was trying to stick with one, if possible.

Brent

No stacking is necessary.

Look at the picture of the case with the door open.

Now imagine the case laying on its back with the open door on the left side.

Mount one PC card to the side of the case with the hinge, number two to the top, and number 3 on the right side.

The entire "bottom" of the case will be open, to allow easy wire management of the dongles from each card so they can be routed out the bottom

I bought 5 of these cases, the first thing I did was used Bondo to fill the 5 existing holes in the bottom, and the little holes in the back. Then I could make my own holes where I needed them.

• 2 weeks later...

John,

Can I ask how you attached the boards to the enclosure? I'm leaning toward drilling some holes for machine screws through the enclosure and use washers and nuts, but I wanted to see if there were any other options, before making more holes.

Brent

I was able to get 4 boards in an enclosure from Lowes...cost was about $35

You can see pictures on this thread:

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=22257&forum_id=81&highlight=lowes+enclosure

My enclosure is about half way into the thread.

I attached the boards by drilling thru the back of the enclosure and using machine screws thru neoprene washers permantently attached to a metal washers...also found at Lowes.

Thanks, I got the enclosure from skycraft, so I'm set there, I just want the know the best way to attach the boards to the enclosure.

The plastic side walls are less then a 1/4" so just screwing them to the plastic won't work (I think) so I'm learning toward machine screws through the plastic.

bwaldrep wrote:

The plastic side walls are less then a 1/4" so just screwing them to the plastic won't work (I think) so I'm learning toward machine screws through the plastic.

I did not screw them to the plastic...from the back I screwed into 1/2" long spacers (the neoprene washers were to make it somewhat water tight) to which the board was then screwed to.

bwaldrep wrote:

Thanks, I'm learning in that direction, I just wanted to see if I was missing some other method.

I am sure there are as many methods as there are guys on this forum!! LOL

I got the spacers from Mouser (a little spendy), but found some on eBay also (along with the machine screws).

bwaldrep wrote:

John,

Can I ask how you attached the boards to the enclosure? I'm leaning toward drilling some holes for machine screws through the enclosure and use washers and nuts, but I wanted to see if there were any other options, before making more holes.

Brent

I used either #6 or #8 machine screws, with some silicon dabbed in around the screw heads to keep them waterproof

EDIT: I did the same thing to attach the screen door handle to the cases to make them easy to carry.