Light-O-Rama Forums

Version 2.8.6

Cray Augsburg

OK. DL'd the new version. Haven't tried everything yet, but what I've tried tells me this a big step in what I consider to be a great direction! I love the RGB channels (currently using Coro Stars with red, green and blue C9s to mix/generate RGB). It looks like it'll really make things simpler . . .

Issue: My animator now moves at less than a snail's pace! Using a background image, when I go from the Big view to the zoomable view or vice-versa, it takes about 30 seconds to get there. Also, added a new temporary drawing element to check out the RGB representation of the RGB channels. When I click a "pixel" in Draw mode (or Erase) it takes a couple of seconds to appear. It appears the screen updating takes a few seconds for each step as you go. It could take five minutes or so to draw a simple circle. This slowness is present whether I am drawing pixels for an RGB channel or a regular channel. As it is on my machine (which is not slow, and has never had a problem updating the animator in the past), this really sucks. Any ideas, people?

Thanks,

Cray

Cray Augsburg wrote:

OK. DL'd the new version. Haven't tried everything yet, but what I've tried tells me this a big step in what I consider to be a great direction! I love the RGB channels (currently using Coro Stars with red, green and blue C9s to mix/generate RGB). It looks like it'll really make things simpler . . .

Issue: My animator now moves at less than a snail's pace! Using a background image, when I go from the Big view to the zoomable view or vice-versa, it takes about 30 seconds to get there. Also, added a new temporary drawing element to check out the RGB representation of the RGB channels. When I click a "pixel" in Draw mode (or Erase) it takes a couple of seconds to appear. It appears the screen updating takes a few seconds for each step as you go. It could take five minutes or so to draw a simple circle. This slowness is present whether I am drawing pixels for an RGB channel or a regular channel. As it is on my machine (which is not slow, and has never had a problem updating the animator in the past), this really sucks. Any ideas, people?

Thanks,

Cray

Cray,

This came up in the beta testing and I believe Bob said they were working on it. I have a feeling we will be seeing a fix to it rather soon.

Cray Augsburg wrote:

Thanks,

Cray

As far as I know we did not make any major changes to the way that the animation window is drawn and in most experiences the overall display is faster and smoother than before (doesn't help you!)...

My only suggestion is to see if you can change the hardware acceleration level on the display (if it can be adjusted) to see if that helps.

What version of Windows are you running?

Dan

This came up in the beta testing and I believe Bob said they were working on it.

I'm sorry, I don't recall this. Could you please remind me of it? The only Animator issue I remember from the Beta was that the selected channel would reset to the first one in the list whenever you switched from "Draw" to "View" or "Erase" (and this problem has been fixed).

Cray, could you please send me (bob@lightorama.com) a copy of a sequence that this happens for? Thanks.

My sequencing system is a a Dell Studio 17 running Vista, 4G RAM, etc.

The problem isn't tied to a sequence specifically. The sequence I am using is one that has the music and timings, but no commands (hence, allows me to test various things). During playback there appears to be no issue. It is an issue only when drawing elements in the the animator or switching between zoom levels, etc.

Again, the problem occurs ONLY in the animator and ONLY when editing elements. It does not occur during playback. In fact, as Dan pointed out, the display IS a lot smoother otherwise.

I hope it is simply a matter of display settings. Will check the acceleration (thanks, Dan). Is there anything specific I should look for? The system uses Intel accelerator drive for mobile. And I didn't have any problems with it on earlier versions of S2.

Thanks,

Cray

Bob,

I do apolgize, I just went through the beta forum and could have sworn I saw it posted there, which is why I never posted about it, but I can't find anything. I must be seeing things.

Anyway, I am having the same issue Cray is having. It has nothing to do with play back, but the animation window (mine has no background image) is extremely slow when drawing or expanding the window. I am seeing it on all my sequences. I sent you an email with one of the sequences so you can take a look at it.

It is still happening in 2.8.6

Thanks, Bob.

The problem is no problem, at least until I get ready to create a new animation screen for my Halloween stuff (coming soon)B).

Truly, I expect some issues with any new version of a software application. I trust LOR to stand behind its products -- it rates among the highest for customer satisfaction as far as I am concerned. And I am fairly flexible -- I certainly have about a zillion other things to occupy me before the upcoming lighting seasons. I look forward to seeing the issue fixed. In the meantime, I really do like the RGB tool, and I believe it and the other additions/amendments in the software will be of tremendous value to us as we sequence.

Thanks again,

Cray

LOR to the rescue! Thanks guys! v2.8.8 cleared up my issues with the animator -- it now works exactly as it should, and appears to be even a touch faster than before the v2.8.6 upgrade! I am really looking forward to sequencing with the RGB tool (along with the other additions).

Now, if you could just find a way to make the next version hang my lights and complete the myriad other things I need to work on . . . .

Cray