Light-O-Rama Forums

Interesting things regarding RGB channels

Steven

I noticed a few interesting, and somewhat unexpected RGB channel results:

First, I used the "Convert to RGB channel" menu item, which is great! However, if you have 3 channels that you are going to convert in multiple tracks, it only gives you an RGB channel in the track in which you invoke the Convert... dialog. I was expecting it to put that some RGB channel in other tracks that already had the 3 original channels. It was not a big deal, since I just used the dialog on the other tracks as well.

Second, since the RGB channels have a black background (as needed), they stand out from regular channels. To blend in, it would be nice to be able to set the background on the other channels to black as well.

Third, and this is a bug. You shouldn't be able to change the color of a component of an RGB channel, but if you use the Channel Property Grid, you can. You can also change the name, which shouldn't be allowed.

Thanks for the feedback. The convert feature was added as a convenience for people with existing "RGB" setups and as such it saves considerable time. We will look into the multi track thing.

We will be making some major changes to the channel grid property in a future release. At this time we have categorized the bugs you described as minor nuisances and they will be addressed at a later time.

As far as the background color we will look into that.

When you draw them they show up white (all 3 channels on) but when the animation does it's thing, it will adjust to the correct color.

Ponddude wrote:

but when the animation does it's thing, it will adjust to the correct color.

When it's showing a fade, they will fade to black squares momentarily instead of the background image. This is noticeable if you have a background image and don't have "Simulate night time" on.

Hmmm...I didn't notice that during the beta testing, but than again I don't background image. Bob should probably be made aware of that.

Steven wrote:

Third, and this is a bug. You shouldn't be able to change the color of a component of an RGB channel, but if you use the Channel Property Grid, you can. You can also change the name, which shouldn't be allowed.

I don't really see this as a bug, but rather a quirk which some non-rgb users may take advantage of. If you have a object (mini tree) that uses red,green,and white lights you could potentially you the RGB feature to sequence said item more quickly