Light-O-Rama Forums

X-10 Question.

James Shelby

I have 25 to 30 address all on one line. My old controller died, at a replacement cost of 5k+. Now I use the Home Depot type but I need to use a screw driver to change to each address then push "all lights on" for each address or the same process for "all lights off", what a pain. I see the X10 in the LOR can I us it to control ALL the address at one time and can I do it in stand alone mode?????

Good morning James

I control lasers on/off with x10

each x10 module has its own address

the LOR sequence controls when a specific laser activates and de-activates

My opinion ---without testing --- is you can build a sequence to control your devices

by individual addresses and schedule the events as required

you will not need a LOR controller --- just the LOR software and x10 equipment

you will be tying up a computer running the software --- we use an old laptop

that has a 9 pin comm serial comm port

LOR supports an older x10 controller unit that is hard to find

see http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=21129&forum_id=81&highlight=x10+links hardware that i use

Frank A.:D

James

the link i gave also shows a radio shack cable

usb to serial

i have also used this on a laptop running xp

using the hardware shown

hope this helps

Frank A.:D

I am not sure I am completely understanding your question. You have 25 - 30 x10 devices? What kind of x10 controller cost 5k? I have not had luck using the usb to serial with x10. Others have. LOR does not have a stand alone mode.

This is a model AXP-EL+. The software for this unit has crashed also so I would need to pay someone to rebuild the graphics for the graphic display, more money than I can come up with. For future use it would be cheaper and easier to bypass this unit and just replace it with an X10 controller. I just need an A-Z on how to do it.

What exactly are your trying to control. Does the APX modules accept X10?

X10 is really a poor technology. There are better technologies out their and some will even accept X10 signals. Insteon for example.

For a controller, I have used ocelot for years. Powerful and easy to configure. http://www.appdig.com/ocelot.html

I have a world globe hanging 50 feet off the floor with a light for all the churches and schools we have or support, broken down into regions ie. one X10 address. Each light is connected to a X10 module and it was installed 15 years ago. I was asking the question because of all the LOR gear I have on hand with a number of computers loaded with its software. I don't have the time or money to rebuild the whole thing, I was hoping to find something to turn on everything at one time, I don't care about the regions, I just want a way to turn all the lights on without all the problems.

James Shelby wrote:

I don't have the time or money to rebuild the whole thing, I was hoping to find something to turn on everything at one time, I don't care about the regions, I just want a way to turn all the lights on without all the problems.

I hate to say it, but for this application, you don't need LOR.

The cheapest and fastest solution is to purchase a CM11A or CM15A, each is under $100, including software. The CM11A is the old serial cable model, I don't believe it's made anymore, but you can still buy them new. The CM15A is the updated USB version.

With either the CM11A or the CM15A, you can take about 3 minutes to create a "macro", that sends a bunch of "All Lights On" or "All Units Off" commands when a single "On" or "Off trigger event is received. The macro can be downloaded to the device itself, meaning that you won't have to leave the computer running the software, or even connected. You can then use your existing Home Depot transmitter to send the trigger command to the CM11A/CM15A device.

You can also put timers on the device so you can make sure the lights are turned off at a certain time if someone forgets to turn them off manually.

Steven wrote:

The cheapest and fastest solution is to purchase a CM11A or CM15A, each is under $100, including software. The CM11A is the old serial cable model, I don't believe it's made anymore, but you can still buy them new. The CM15A is the updated USB version.

I don't think new LOR software supports the CM15A.

Thanks for all the information. I have worked with X10 for years but I have not taken the time to understand how it works. You guys have been a big help. I'll be starting Christmas lights in a few weeks so I need to fix this X10 thing soon. Again thanks.

iresq wrote:

Don't really need to go the computer route either. There are timers that will do what you want.

In his setup, as James described, the X10 modules are all set to different house codes, and they are located 50 feet from the floor. The timer you found (and most X10 timers) will only control a single house code. That is why I suggested the CM11A or CM15A , which can control multiple house codes. Of course, if a 50-foot ladder is available, changing all of the 15-year-old modules to the some house code would make a simple timer a better solution.

Steven wrote:

iresq wrote:
Don't really need to go the computer route either. There are timers that will do what you want.

In his setup, as James described, the X10 modules are all set to different house codes, and they are located 50 feet from the floor. The timer you found (and most X10 timers) will only control a single house code. That is why I suggested the CM11A or CM15A , which can control multiple house codes. Of course, if a 50-foot ladder is available, changing all of the 15-year-old modules to the some house code would make a simple timer a better solution.

Your right. I missed the multiple house codes.

Changing all the codes sounds like the thing to do. I didn't think of that and your right there are 10 to 15 house codes. I take a small screwdriver to change the house code then all lights on, then change the code and so on and so on. I have cases of these X10 modules with a 6" lead with a LED on the end and the power leads, so changing to something new is not an option right now. Thanks