Light-O-Rama Forums

Don't Forget !

Papa-LF

Just a reminder to all - we get very busy starting this time of year and even more so in the upcoming months. But being in the PC support business -

Don't forget to BACKUP YOUR STUFF....

There are as many ways to backup as there are are different scenarios of backup need. Keep it simple. In fact a good idea is to set a reminder in your email system to send you a reminder note to backup.

So here are your marching orders, open up your show machine and blow it out - replace any fans that may be whining a little. While your at it, does your machine need more ram, its a lot less expensive now than it used to be. Do any windows updates that are needed, and is your antivirus up to date? Microsoft has a nice free antivirus piece that isn't a memory hog.

The new version of S2 will be out - apparently this coming week - get it installed and tested.

As my oldest grand son says - "Get Er Done" - and have a great season!

Back up is not a good idea!

It is a necessity!

Sequences take very little space but take 100's of hours to create!

Don't be "...my hard drive crashed. How do I get my sequences back?"

For those who might want to start backing up data, but don't know where to start, allow me to give you three options. (There are more out there, and this is not a comprehensive list. Please do your research!)

Mozy and Carbonite are two online backup solutions that a lot of people seem to use. I've set up Carbonite before, and it runs at my in-laws house with no problems. (I know, because I'd be getting the call if something goes wrong.)

Another solution is Dropbox. This program gives you 2GB of online storage for free. (And disclaimer: With this link you and I both get an extra 250MB free.) They have paid plans available as well if you want more space. The nice thing about Dropbox is that if you have it loaded on other machines, it will automatically keep the folders synchronized. If you delete something by accident, log into the web site, and restore a previous version of the file.

Again, there are other solutions out there, just wanted to give folks who might be new to online backups a starting point for their research.

I back my stuff up multiple ways. I put it on two flash drives, an external hard drive, and I put it on my Micro SD card for my phone; plus I have three computers with everything on it. All together, thats seven different back ups!

You can get flash drives for under $10 at Wal-Mart that have plenty of room for anything that is needed for the show. On my flash drives, I have a copy of the software on it, a copy of the e-mail with my license and all of my sequences and songs.

Jesse

One piece of software I was introduced to about two years ago is Acronis.

It will make an image of your entire hard drive, or whatever portion you desire. Its a wonderful thing. Can bring a machine back to life in just a little bit of time. I use it to make an entire image and store that image on a portable drive for emergencies. Yes, what you changed or added since your backup will be lost, but it can bail you out, and if you keep backups of your updates, your good.

Its real good if your going to make a major change to your production machine, just make an image, then make the big change, and if the change goes sour, just reload your image and your back to square one.

I have the HP Home Media Server. Its all automatic now. Does it every night. I have a little over two terabytes of storage.

OK folks, I need some advice in this area. I have three 1.5TB data drives to back up with three additional drives dedicated to back the first ones up. My problem is I haven't found a solution that can do multiple drives automatically. One at a time but not multiples. I also have a 300GB system drive to back up. Any thoughts???

Before someone asks what the heck with this guy and multiple drives... I do some photography on the side. Weddings are raw files and 800-1200 images as a base to start then albums with multiple layered Photoshop files eat up the space. That's one drive. I have others for various areas of photography and a personal drive.

So, I really would like to find a cost effective solution that is auto for multiple drives. Any help? Oh, one more thing, I'd like it to not use a proprietary file. Preferably just a copy.

Jeff

jbzeus wrote:

OK folks, I need some advice in this area. I have three 1.5TB data drives to back up with three additional drives dedicated to back the first ones up. My problem is I haven't found a solution that can do multiple drives automatically. One at a time but not multiples. I also have a 300GB system drive to back up. Any thoughts???

Before someone asks what the heck with this guy and multiple drives... I do some photography on the side. Weddings are raw files and 800-1200 images as a base to start then albums with multiple layered Photoshop files eat up the space. That's one drive. I have others for various areas of photography and a personal drive.

So, I really would like to find a cost effective solution that is auto for multiple drives. Any help? Oh, one more thing, I'd like it to not use a proprietary file. Preferably just a copy.

Jeff

Jeff, - just a copy huh.... Well....

My recommendation would be to find someone to write you a script file that would copy your images to a NAS device. (NAS = Network Area Storage). A simple script - when written correctly - can maintain the file in its native state and move it to a storage area, preferably off site and automatically. Can be done, not hard to do. Finding the scripting guy that your comfortable with - a harder task.

Now take the proprietary issue out of the equation gives you a whole world of options. I like SME / Mitel Linux server myself. Built in backup to simple workstation.

Maybe I'm all wet thinking just a copy??? Just seems like in the past the proprietary file was a pain. I'm not an expert an am certainly open to suggestion. Don't want to lose those sequences I've started to create!

Don wrote:

Another solution is Dropbox. This program gives you 2GB of online storage for free. (And disclaimer: With this link you and I both get an extra 250MB free.) They have paid plans available as well if you want more space. The nice thing about Dropbox is that if you have it loaded on other machines, it will automatically keep the folders synchronized. If you delete something by accident, log into the web site, and restore a previous version of the file.

This is also a great theft recovery tool. Someone stole my brother's laptop at college. He logged into his dropbox account and found the IP address of where the computer was last logged on to. He immediately gave it to the police and had his laptop in his hands within 24 hours!