Light-O-Rama Forums

Phillips 17 LED Snowflake

blainedead

What determines whether or not an LED is dimmable? Does it have to do with whether or it is rectified, or is it something else.

I picked up 8ea Phillips 17" LED Snowflakes last year in the post-Christmas sales at Target. They do appear to be rectified, as they have a medium sized node near the plug. The node has AC stamped on one end and DC stamped on the other.

I'm testing the fade levels on all the new LEDs that will be in my show this year, and just thought I would ask before I try it. Would hate to destroy one if I can avoid it.

blainedead wrote:

I picked up 8ea Phillips 17" LED Snowflakes last year in the post-Christmas sales at Target. They do appear to be rectified, as they have a medium sized node near the plug. The node has AC stamped on one end and DC stamped on the other.

I have been using them for 2 years on my roof, no problems yet.
Here is a crappy video, I need to get a camera this year,

Awww your guys are teasing me. Like a fool I only bought one not sure if I would like it till I got it home. Well the next day they were all gone. I need 7 more of those.

To answer your question. Full wave or half wave is fine. What usually will cause failure is if it has a filter cap installed. It also messes with the fade speed and make your fades look drawn out.

Great, thanks!

BTW, who is the artist on that version of Carol of the Bells? I was thinking about bringing it back this year, but haven't settled on a version yet.

Hi,
it is . Carol of the bells,
the album, " X christmas " artist," August burns red"
I got it from I-tunes

blainedead wrote:

Well, I bought 8, but I'm only using 6. Figured I would keep a couple of spares, but would part with 2 of them if you really needed them.

Thanks blainedead,

I'll keep that kind offer in mind if I come to the point that I need just two more. As it is right now, I need 7 of them still. Will you and anyone else reading this do this for me. Keep your eyes open for any that might hit the shelves this fall. I rarely go into Target and it was just a fluke that I was in one last fall. I suppose I was on the look out for items to add to my display. I was waiting for the big sale after Christmas. I dont expect that there will be any crazy sales this year either. Might of fact I think retail stores will have empty shelves very early in the season. I heard that retail has gone back to their suppliers and cut their orders steeply.

Hey, just to be clear, do you guys have the blue one's or white? the blue have pointed ends, and the white ones are rounded over.

when I asked them to check the back for more, it is always a big drama, because philips put the same bar code and item number on both. the picture on the box and where it says blue/white is the only way to tell.?

I may have extra white, cause I went with the blue.:cool:

Ditto, I was going with the white one(s). just to be sure the bar code is in the lower right corner on the back panel. Code reads 6 89720 15673 2.

Thanks guys. I am sequencing TSO Wish Lizts and during the part that you hear the piano playing the real high octive I have the snow flakes flashing and bouncing around on my roof.

Ok,
the bar code numbers on my blue ones is different. 6 89720 15772 2.
Maybe they were going by the number near the price, 051 04 2347.
or maybe this has been fixed?
but it was a big confusion at the stores, when I was tracking down 40
of them.
Anyway, I'm sure I have a couple white ones buried in the back of my shed
if anyone comes up short near christmas?

Thanks for the offer Ron. ya I would like to find them again this year. Hopefully early Nov. I am hoping to have all set up and a few days to play and check out the show and do any fine tuning before thanks giving. I started my show last year and want to do it again this year the night after thanks giving.

• 2 months later...

The link to target for the white snowflakes is http://www.target.com/Philips-LED-SNOWFLAKE-SCULPTURE/dp/B002622WZG

They are listed as out of stock. I am not sure what that means, if they are carrying them this year or they just have not gotten them in stock yet.

I did find some 15 inch LED snowflakes at big lots this year so I picked up all their stock a whopping 8 of them. I will have to shop some other big lots if I ever get into a major metro area again before Christmas.

Hi toddman,

How in hecks name did you find that URL? I went back and did a search for "Philips LED Snowflake and got 5 items. None of them the one we all want. Ah, nuts! I have bought some frames and was told it would be 9'6" of rope light. Well got the frames today and said to myself no way. I measured the wire for just 1/2 of one point (total 6 points). It was 21" so doing the math this is more like 21 - 22 ' of rope light. Looks like I rig something up to resemble snowflakes or get the Philips if it becomes available. Otherwise geri rig for this year and do a better job next.

Hey thanks for the URL and I will be watching it. If I see some activity I will shout it out..