Light-O-Rama Forums

Version 2.8 Question

nmonkman

I have gotten a few emails from potential customers that want sequences done for them asking about the "RGB" feature in the next version.

Quite frankly, I am completely lost on this. I have read a little bit about it, but not much.

My main question is will it function the same as previous versions?

Also, are the RGB channels for other controllers than LOR?I only use LOR controllers.

I don't want to promise people I can work with their sequences if it is going to be something completely different than I am used to and will require training and practice.

If the feature does not pertain to LOR controllers, then I am okay as I simply wont mess with it.

THanks,

Neil,

I can't answer all your questions, but as it pertains to LOR's CCR 2.8 is definitely a big step in the right direction. (Dan has alluded to even more RGB support in subsequent releases.) It will, however, require practice to get good at it, that's for sure. But again, a lot easier than before. Personally, I've declined all requests from people who've asked about CCR programming for this year simply due to how time-consuming it is, but with the changes in progress I think maybe I'll be adding it next year.

Oh I have no doubt it will be a great feature. I am just not set up for it and have no immediate plans to use it.

I just want to make sure that I can sequence a song for someone that has the regular channels and leave the RGB channels alone.

For example, someone has lets say 48 channel display. 45 of those channels are regular incandescent or LED single strand lights and 3 channels control CCR.

My concern is that I can sequence the 45 regular channels and leave the CCR channels alone for them to sequence or program.

Does that make sense or am I misunderstanding the way the new version will work?

Actually, the CCRs don't take up any conventional channels - they are controlled by a separate controller. Including the macro channels, they have a total 157 channels. And just like any other LOR controller it can always be added later and won't affect programming already in place in a sequence.

With the exception of incorporating new features, such as the RGB channels, the new software won't - to the best of my knowledge anyway - negatively impact any sequencing that has already occurred.

Ahhh Haaaaaaa! So I think I get it now.

So I should be okay as long as I let my customers know not to expect me to program those channels.

At least until I know what the heck I am doing:D

If I have version 2.7.4 on my show computer, will it be able to play a sequence I create on a different computer with version 2.8? What if I use 2.8 features (like RGB) in my sequence?

If I have version 2.7.4 on my show computer, will it be able to play a sequence I create on a different computer with version 2.8?

It depends on the sequence. It will definitely warn you that it might not understand the sequence; it may fail to load the sequence; it may succeed in loading the sequence. If it succeeds in loading the sequence, it still may not understand it correctly.

This is the way it has always been - old versions of LOR will try their best to load and use sequences that use a newer save file layout, but there's no real guarantee that they'll succeed.

What if I use 2.8 features (like RGB) in my sequence?

It depends what features, but for RGB channels specifically, no, sorry, that won't work. Or, possibly, if you also include the constituent channels of the RGB channel directly in a track, it might work, but I bet that it would just fail to load in the first place.

It will definitely warn you that it might not understand the sequence

Actually, I just realized that this is not true. The Sequence Editor would warn you of this. The Show Player would not.

There is an easy workaround that you can use if you haven't used the new features (RGB) in a sequence. Open the .lms file with a text editor and change the "saveFileVersion" number backwards one digit.

The last few versions of LOR have used the SaveFileVersion="7"

There is an easy workaround that you can use if you haven't used the new features (RGB) in a sequence. Open the .lms file with a text editor and change the "saveFileVersion" number backwards one digit.

The last few versions of LOR have used the SaveFileVersion="7"

I recommend against this.

It will not cause LOR to be able to load sequences that it could not load otherwise, nor will it cause LOR to be able to understand sequences that it could not understand otherwise.

The only thing it will accomplish is to prevent LOR from giving you a warning message.

I am currently running 2.6.0

I see that there are many updates since I started... Do I have to upgrade each new version up to the current? Or does the current incorporate all the upgrades from previous updates?

With 2.8 comming out, it might take me a while to get all the updates loaded... Gota start cracking.

crackchecker wrote:

I am currently running 2.6.0

I see that there are many updates since I started... Do I have to upgrade each new version up to the current? Or does the current incorporate all the upgrades from previous updates?

With 2.8 comming out, it might take me a while to get all the updates loaded... Gota start cracking.

To date you've never needed to upgrade in the method you describe. Simply install the latest version and you're good to go.

goduke21 wrote:

Any idea how much longer until 2.8 comes out

Well the beta testing has been going very well. Very few issues have been found so unless something major comes up we will most likely relese it sometime next week.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

goduke21 wrote:
Any idea how much longer until 2.8 comes out

Well the beta testing has been going very well. Very few issues have been found so unless something major comes up we will most likely relese it sometime next week.

Dan

I'll say a prayer tonight, cross my fingers, and knock on wood :D

I hae noticed that today when I updated that I have this blank row at the top of my work page and that it is causing my grid to be off verticaly by about a 1/3 of a block and that when I click on a block that it will highlight the one above it. Anyone else had this problem yet?

You can use RGB channels with the Cosmic Color Ribbon. If people have a RGB device connected to a LOR controller such as a RGB flood light attached to a CMB16Dxx then you can use RGB channels for those, if you have a RGB DMX fixture you can use it there, etc... You can just ignore RGB channels if you do not need them.